Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adjustment Layer Oddities

Nov 19, 2012 12:03 PM

I'm seeing some new and unwanted behavior using Adjustment Layers.  I love to use these for grading, CC and other effects, as I can easily apply one setting to a whole range of clips.  However, sometimes a clip will require tweaking of those settings, or an additional effect.  So I cut the AL to match the clip, then apply dissolves on the AL to match the dissolve on the clip.  Below is a screen shot.

Adjustment Layers.png

The problem is that the footage has started to freeze during the transitions, as if a frame hold is in effect.  Normal playback resumes after the transition.  That freeze also causes the export to fail with an Unknown Error.  If I remove the dissolves from the AL, all works fine, except that now the different settings on the AL effects just 'cut', which is jarring and unwanted.  It happens across media types and export settings, but strangely only on one of my two computers. Unfortunately it's my production rig, my personal computer still works fine with this.  (Damn, why couldn't that be reversed!)

Is anyone else seeing any issues with dissolves applied to Adjustment Layers?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

Just tried it on some test clips - same result as yours.  I tried it with 1 adjustment layer razored, and again with 2 different adjustment layers. Both had a freeze-frame during the transition and then picked up again after the transition end.  Looks like you found a bug.

I'm on a MacPro 4,1

CS 6.0.2

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Hi Jim,

I just tried to recreate on my MBPRetina.  It actually transitioned nicely for me - never would have thought of it but it's a cool effect.  

Let's double check the version and the video hardware to see if that's something you have in common with needles27 but not with me.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I didn't understand the point of the transition on the AL at first. I had to dissolve between two radically different images to get what you meant.

While trying this out, I put a cross dissolve between a couple of clips, put an Al over them and used the Fast Color Corrector on the AL. So far so good. I then cut the AL and made changes to the color correction on the first half of the AL. I then put a Film Dissolve on the cut on the AL. I think that is what you used.

Much to my surprise, when I tried to change the colors on the second half of the AL, I couldn't. The wheel changed but had no effect on the video. Very odd. I deleted the transition. Same problem. I copied everything on the timeline over to a new sequence and it behaved normally. Very odd. Works fine now.

I have not been able to duplicate the problem. And the transition between the two parts of the AL really helps. I am sorry you are having troubles but it turned out to be a nice tip for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 8:15 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I have the GTX 285 with GPU Driver Version: 1.3.4.0 (304.00.05f02) on a MacPro 4,1 10.8.2 with CS 6.02 (Latest for Mac)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 11:13 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Here, 6.03 without cuda, black screen. But, if I add a Crop effect (or an Brightness&Contrast, or certain effects without changing the parameters), works well. And, if I put the opacity to %99.99, works too (and the opacity is listed as %100). Another strange thing is if you add a fade-in to an Adjustament Layer, this fade from black (or maybe frezee frame in your system?), and not from transparency (you have to animate by keyframes the opacity to do this...). Sorry for my bad inglés.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points