Skip navigation
Chrisf
Currently Being Moderated

Paper Sizes in Acrobat XI Standard/ Win7

Nov 19, 2012 11:56 AM

Tags: #autocad #architecture #printing_pdf #acrobat_xi

Hi,

Our firm recently upgraded from Acrobat 7 Pro. I researched online prior to making this switch, and identified the following differences between Standard and Pro based on the published Product Comparison chart:

• limits to batch actions and automation
  • conversion from PDF to Powerpoint
  • creating PDF Portfolios
  • inserting interactive content (incl Flash)
  • FormsCentral
  • File comparison and highlighting
  • Redaction tools
  • Accessibility verification tools

I specifically noted that Standard and Pro both advertised the exact same ability to "Create PDF files from virtually any desktop application that prints." I didn't need the Pro features, so we purchased Acrobat XI Standard.

We are an architectural firm, and we plot to large PDF paper sizes. We are on 64-bit AutoCAD, and thus the PDFMaker plug-in is not compatible (Adobe has still not updated their plug-ins to be 64-bit compliant), so we have to use the PDF Printer. This should not be a problem, because that's the way we always did it before; but after installing Acrobat XI standard, the large paper sizes we need are not available. So, technical support issue, right? After several long (and friendly) chats with Adobe Support, I received conflicting information about whether this feature should be available or if it is supposed to be limited to Pro; we were finally able to hack a solution by using a paper size name that did not conflict with the system sizes that were already installed (but which the PDF printer refused to see).

I see a lot of "MVPs" on this site stating as a fact that large paper sizes are limited to the Pro version. I asked Adobe during our support chat for documentation of this limitation of Acrobat Standard, and they could not provide such documentation. As noted above, Acrobat Standard IS able to print to large formats, if you create the paper size yourself and name it something other than the system-installed size.

So... for the sake of anyone else who is researching this issue:

1. If you have a solution to make Acobat Standard recognize all the system-installed paper sizes, I'd love to hear it
  2. Don't trust MVPs on this forum
  3. Don't trust Adobe's marketing materials

Needless to say, this was a disappointing hacked-together solution after spending thousands on new software. I hope it saves someone else the headaches that I've gone through to make this work for us.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to Chrisf

In the Standard edition not all paper sizes are pre-defined.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to Chrisf

Ignore my reply.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers