Skip navigation
Christ_Guard
Currently Being Moderated

Help creating basic clean flowing round lines -Pillar of Cloud

Nov 19, 2012 1:46 PM

Hey guys!

I am new to illustrator. I have done a lot of amature work in photoshop and I have decided to make the jump to ilustrator for creating logo's and things of the sort. Currently I am working on a project to creat an artsy pillar of cloud and fire using just black lines. The pillar of fire turned out great:
Fire.gif

However, I can't seem to get the pillar of Cloud to come out well. I am having trouble making loop's and curves, they all turn out so boxy when I draw them with the pen tool. Here is what my Photoshop version looks like (This was just a comp I through together):

Cloud.gif Now, the finished product will be a little bit less busy, but I hope you get the point. The problem I have is that those lines don't flow as they should, they have to many harsh corners and straight lines. Any suggestions on how I can step up my pen game? Or if I should use a different technique? The inspiration for this pillars is the following photo:Pillar-of-Cloud-Pillar-of-Fire_Isaacb2.jpg

See how somth and curly those lines are? I just can't seem to achieve that. Any help or tips would be greatly apreciated. Thanks!

Replies

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points