Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Postscript bleed issues CS6 OSX 10.7.5

Nov 19, 2012 4:32 PM

Hey guys... Got a strange one for you...

I'm needing the postscript an ID document so I can go from colour to Greyscale (Exporting doest give the convert to Greyscale option)

Example Job setup

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e276/marcusstringer/ScreenShot2012-11-20at112236AM.png

When I set my custom bleed to be 5mm all around but turn gutter to 0mm

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e276/marcusstringer/ScreenShot2012-11-20at112247AM.png

ID does not recognise this setting on recto pages which are on a spread, it includes the bleed...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e276/marcusstringer/ScreenShot2012-11-20at112308AM.png

Can someone please confirm this for me?

Thanks

Marcus

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to marcusstringer

It would help if you'd tell us what you're trying to end up with. What is the output that you want?

If you want a grayscale PDF, you don't have to do through all that. In CS6, you can export directly to a grayscale profile. If that's what you want, I can tell you how.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to marcusstringer

When you set an inside bleed, the individual pages will use the edge of the opposite half of the spread because that's what is showing iun the area you defined as the bleed. If that's not waht you want, either set the inside bleed to zero or "split the spread." see InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Breaking Pages Apart to Bleed Off a Spine

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 6:56 PM   in reply to marcusstringer

I seem to recall a bug with printing and inside bleeds where this happens. You should be fine with export. Choose Convert to Profile and pick your grayscale profile from the list.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 7:36 PM   in reply to marcusstringer

marcusstringer wrote:

What's the best Grayscale profile to use... for offset printing?

That's like asking "how big is a bread box?" For a sheetfed press on caoted stock I tend to use Dot Gain 20%, but you should probably ask the printer.

You can create a custom gray profile using the Black Ink from your CMYK profile that you would use for that press for grayscale conversions in Photoshop, and ID will give you a better output preview.  Edit Color Settings... and in the grayscale dropdown choose "Load Gray" then pick your CMYK profile from the open dialog (you may have to browse to find it). Save the settings file. Bad news is I don't know how to get that converted into a custom ICC profile that you can load and choose in ID. Perhaps Rob knows and will see this.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 7:49 PM   in reply to marcusstringer

If that's true, it would probably be worthwhile to resave the .eps files as either native .ai or .psd and relink.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points