Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Working with text

Nov 19, 2012 3:03 PM

I found out how to place text in a video, bit I would be grateful, if someone would explain - in details - how I decide when the text shall start and when it shall stop. I have tried and tried, but I have not managed yet.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

Were I doing 10 Titles in a row (I often do similar, to identify Images in a SlideShow), I would do two things first:

1. I would determine the runtime/Duration of the Titles, say to match the Duration of my Images, and set that in Edit>Preferences>Still Duration as a number of Frames.
    2. Then, I would create the first Title, choosing the Text Style that I desire, and if it's a new Style, would Save that to the Styles Panel.

Next, I would edit the Text in the first, and then choose Duplicate Title, altering just the Text for each.

Then, I would place each Title on Video Track 2, above my Images/Clips.

To position the Title accurately, you can leave Snap ON, providing that you are locating the Titles at the Head/Tail of the Images, or Clips. If I wish to locate the Title, say a few Frames into my Image/Clip, I woud turn Snap OFF, to allow Frame-precise positioning.

Though I had set my Title Duration earlier, I can still click+drag on the Head, or the Tail, to adjust the Duration to something else. Were I doing that, I would bring up the Info Panel, to see the exact Duration, so that the Titles matched.

For that 1 - 2 sec. lapse, you can do that with Frame-accuracy. Say that you are on a PAL system, and your Project is 25 FPS, 1 sec. = 25 Frames, where 2 sec. = 50 Frames. With the Timeline zoomed in, you can see the Frame, and also the sec., tick marks on the Timeline Ruler. You can also use that Info Panel to see the exact Start Time, for the Title, as you move it about. For that placement, it will probably be best to turn Snap OFF, but do not forget to turn it back ON, before you do more editing.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 5:46 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

Are you on a Mac or a PC?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 5:47 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

Hm-m, on your Edit>Preferences>General dialog screen, you do not have Still Image Default Duration, with a box for Frames? Maybe Adobe moved it from the normal, and standard location, to somewhere else, with PrE 11?

As I have not received my PrE 11 copy yet, I cannot tell you where Stills Duration might be now.

Sorry,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 5:50 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

Then the preferences are under the Edit menu, as Bill said.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 5:55 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

Snap is a function that, just like its name, Snaps a Clip, Title, Still, etc.. to the border of another, when one drags it close. It is toggled via the S key - ON/OFF.

In the Edit>Media Project Panel, just Rt-click on a Title, and choose Duplicate from the drop-down menu.

Also, Steve Grisettin has a great Basic Training Series on Muvipix, and it covers most aspects of PrE: http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=basic+training&btn.x=16&b tn.y=10

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 6:37 AM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

Niels,

That looks fine, with only one comment: You might want to allow just a little more space on either side of the Lower-Third (lyrics) Title, as some viewers might have TV's, with more overscan, and the Title Text could be cut off for them. On a computer, or a TV with, little to no overscan, it will read properly.

One can display the Title Safe Area Guides (and also the Action Safe Area Guides). For Titles on HD material, to be played on an HD TV, you can probably safely get by when using the Action Safe Area Guides (the larger rectangle), but I would not go beyond that.

You can drop the Font Size down a bit, or can Select the Text box in the Title, and then drag the little handles on the sides of that Bounding Box, but that will slightly "squish" the Text a bit - just check that out. If I am doing multiple Titles, I want all aspects of my Text to be uniform, so would choose a Font Size that is constant, and that will fit properly.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 9:02 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

Gosh,

Sorry that things are not going well. Doing similar (while I have never done lyrics, I have done Lower-Thirds for multi-image Slied shows), I have not had any issues.

I wish that I had more to offer, to help you.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points