Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

White Bars on Jpeg Export

Nov 19, 2012 5:32 PM

InDesign CS6 updated as of today.

I am working on a 45 x 48.5 poster with about 300 images. When I export the file as a jpeg, it has large bars that go across the entire project. I have previously exported the file as a jpeg without issue, but I needed to increase the resolution. So I went back today and tried as 600ppi and the bars appear.

The bars are approximely 3 inches in height and span the entire width. They are not the same size and are not evenly spaced. One is about 40% from the top and the other is maybe 60% from the top.

I can not upload a screen shot right now, but any help would be appreciated.

P.S. - I took this project over for someone else and I am not very versed in InDesign. I am pretty familiar with Adobe PS and BR.

KD

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2012 6:28 PM   in reply to Kyle D.

Is this an art poster--i.e., printed at 175 lpi or better on fine coated stock? Is it going to be scaled larger at print time?

If not, 300 dpi is likely overkill anyway.

At that size, I would suspect the nominal viewing distance is an arm's length or 2' at the closest. You should be able to export at no more than about 240 dpi. But 300 at the max.

The font issue. I don't know how much text is affected, but if it isn't much, try converting it to curves and then try the export of the PDF again. Else pick up the required/used fonts.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 7:43 PM   in reply to MW Design

MikeWenzloff wrote:

The font issue. I don't know how much text is affected, but if it isn't much, try converting it to curves and then try the export of the PDF again. Else pick up the required/used fonts.

I'm not sure that will work if the font is missing...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

@Peter...yeah, too fast of typing without engaging brain. I was editing some PDFs in another app today and while the fonts were present from embedding, they were subsetted and I was simply converting them to curves so output would go smoothly.

@Kyle,

If this was being offset, twice the dpi to a little more of the lpi it is being printed is more than sufficient. If it is going to digital print, the limiting factor is the real dpi the device is capable of. While you will read high dpi claims, the data of continuous tone images greater than 300 dpi is all going to be processed and the rip is going to toss the extra pixels out (i.e., not going to print them).

Also, if looking at the links panel, if you have images where the effective resolution is above 300 dpi at 100% scale, ID is going to chew on the image(s) and simply chew up memory unneccesarily. So I would fire up PS and ensure any images are scaled appropriately and are exported out at 100% of the pixel dimensions of their placement in ID and 300 dpi. Exporting should go (more) smoothly if this isn't the case.

Fonts. I suspect you simply changed the font, correct? If so, it shouldn't have popped up any font messages going to PDF. If not, do so if the typeface is not key to the look/feel.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points