Skip navigation
Shinobidude
Currently Being Moderated

Transfer Catalog WITHOUT moving files

Nov 19, 2012 7:27 PM

Tags: #photoshop_elements_10 #import_catalog #google_drive

Hello -

I am using Google Drive to store my photos so they are automatically backed up and sync'd across multiple computers, as well as my phone.

I am buying a new primary computer and will need to transfer the catalog to the new computer.  However, as I will be installing Google Drive on that computer as well, the photos will all sync down automatically.  There is no need to have PE10 copy my flies from the old computer as part of the transfer process, as described here:  http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catal og-photoshop.html

The way I see it, there are two scenarios:

I HAVE to use PE10 to make a back up of all the files in the catalog onto an external drive.  I import the library on the new computer and either A) Google Drive recognizes that the files are all the same and doesn't waste time syncing the files or B) Google Drive replaces the 110 GB of files currently on the servers with the same files, then pushes those files down to all the devices that are synced.

or...

I can use Google Drive to push the photos onto my new computer, then the paths, tags, albums and other catalog information can be imported without PE10 worrying about the photo files themselves. 

Does anyone know how to make the later option happen?

Sorry for the long-winded question.  Thanks for your help!

--Michael

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2012 11:51 PM   in reply to Shinobidude

I have no precise idea of how a Google drive works, but I can tell you how to move or copy a catalog.

The catalog itself is contained into a folder. Its main component is a database containing the links (folder paths) for all the media files and all the info about them : exif metadata, tags, ratings, captions, albums, version sets... The catalog folder also contains other necessary files for thumbnail cache, people recognition etc.

The catalog manager only enables you to move, not to copy the catalog folder. But from the explorer, you can copy the catalog folder into a new one anywhere, especially on a new drive. The recorded paths are still valid. The new catalog will be named by the name of the new folder. In practice, that's a simple way to backup the catalog without the media.

What is generally forgotten is that the originality of the Organizer is to provide a backup method for both catalog and media. Lightroom only cares for catalogs.

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Storin g_the_catalog

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Using_ a_single

Remember that simply copying a catalog does not mean the new one is updated when you change the old catalog.

Also it's good to recall that the main rule for the Organizer or other database systems is never to move, rename or delete files outside of the Organizer itself.

I don't know if and how you can solve your problem, but I am sure many forum users will be very interested by your results.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points