Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is constrained scaling possible in Illustrator?

Nov 19, 2012 6:29 PM

Tags: #illustrator #scaling #adobe #constrained #nonlinear

Let's say I have a rectangle, filled with all kinds of paths.  I would like to scale the paths in that rectangle from the center, with a catch.  I do not want the outer boundaries of the rectangle to move.  I want them to stay where they are.  So what I really want is for all the objects within the rectangle to move outwards, towards the edges of the rectangle.  The closer the object is to an edge, the less it is affected by the scale factor.

Does that make sense?  It's sort of a constrained, non-linear scaling where objects are "pushed" away from the center towards the walls.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2012 7:45 PM   in reply to FlyBrannif

I'm not sure if I understand what's in your mind, a sketch of before and after could be helpful, but in case this is what you want, the image shows a group of equal rectangles destorted on the second image using envelope mesh with 2 columns and rows. I reduced the handles on the corners to 0 distance and also to 0 distance the handles on the middle of the sides going towards the center. I also adjusted the rest of the handles on the middle of the sides and center point to increase the distortion only in certain directions.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 7:58 PM   in reply to FlyBrannif

Well you can perhaps try this.

Make the objects inside the boundaries of the rectangle a symbol and enable nine slice scaling for the symbol, you do that when it asks you to name the symbol and choose what type of symbol you need.

Now if you switch to the selection tool and hold down the Option/Alt Shift key you will restrain the propotions of the overall dimensions of the objects that make up the symbol and it will scale from the center and you simply stop when you reach one of the sides.

You will onice with nine slice scaling the outer les shan does the center of the symbol.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 8:00 PM   in reply to emil emil

And another possibility that could be what's in you mind is the effect of the  Bloat Tool which makes radial scale from the center and with the shape of the Bloat Tool brush.

I used it on the the same group as in my previous message with a selection excluding the anchor points on the edges of the group.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 8:20 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade, actually this is pretty good trick that automates what I suggested. Thanks for the tip.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points