Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to deal with ai1p codec material?

Nov 19, 2012 7:27 PM

I have been given a drive full of media that is organized in Final Cut Pro 7 projects. The video uses the ai1p codec (as reported by QuickTime). Premiere Pro 6.0.2 can't see the video. (It's the first video i've ever thrown at PPro that it can't play.) I downloaded a copy of FCP-X, and it sees the video just fine. Can anyone tell me how to get PPro to recognize this material? I've tried installing Panasonic's AVCHD codecs. No joy. As a side note, QT can't play the files either, but it does liet the codecs in "Get info".

Any ideas?

(working on a Mac)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2012 7:36 PM   in reply to AirStream Pictures

When I Googled, I found https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2499735?start=0&tstart=0 which mentions a Panasonic Varicam and the ai1p codec    

>installing Panasonic's AVCHD codecs. No joy

Well, does Panasonic SAY that what you have is an AVCHD codec?

Could there be something else on the Panasonic site?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to AirStream Pictures

organized in Final Cut Pro 7 projects.

That's the likely issue.  FCP often coverts media upon ingest (Log and Transfer).

Go back to the original camera media, untouched by FCP.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to AirStream Pictures

Why in the world does Panasonic not make this available to editors?

I think the better criticism is against the way FCP handled the original media.

why is there no Adobe page that has info on where to get every useful codec an editor might need?

Because Premiere Pro doesn't change the media which it supports the way FCP did.  Rather PP just works with the media as it comes off the camera, so typiclly no extra codecs are necessary with an all Adobe work flow.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to AirStream Pictures

I hate to tell you this, but you did not need to spend $300 on FCPX. You could have spent $50 on Compressor to get the same codec pack.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to AirStream Pictures

Adobe could have scored a lot of points by having a resource that helped me to know what was going on without having to spend half a day and most of a night on it.

There's nothing wrong with praise for a group that takes the initiative and solves a problem created by someone else, but it's not right to criticize them for not doing so.  Criticism or complaint belongs squarely on the shoulders of the group that created the problem in the first place, in this case Apple.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to AirStream Pictures

The biggest problem is that there are thousands of CODEC's out there, and the list grows almost monthly. Most are designed just for playback, and a smaller sub-set can be used to Encode, say from PrPro, while a much smaller sub-set can be used to edit in Premiere Pro, in that it can use the CODEC to both Decode and to Encode.

However, there are many that are designed for other NLE programs, and only some will also work in PrPro. Some are Mac-only, while some are PC-only, but some ARE X-platform. When one gets to some of the proprietary CODEC's, the user might have to have their NLE installed, along with PrPro, and then, some just will not work.

No sooner does a user feel that they have a good handle on CODEC's in general, and then some mfgr. either releases a new one, or tweaks an older version, so that ONLY their version will work with files using it.

Because Apple's NLE's create intermediate files, and often with proprietary CODEC's, material from iMovie, FCE, FCP, etc., just might have to be converted to a more "standard" CODEC.

It also does not help that one is most often confronted by file FORMATS, but some, like AVI, MOV, etc., can contain any number of CODEC's, and now, some mfgrs. are wrapping CODEC's in non-standard formats/containers. Now, more than ever, it's incumbent on an editor to know the full details of the CODEC, though, as in your case, that was only marginally helpful.

The task was to find a way to get the necessary CODEC onto your system, and then hope that it's one, that PrPro can use. That is not always the case.

Because the list of CODEC's, that any one NLE cannot edit with, is in flux, i.e. changing constantly, keeping such a list evergreen would be a daunting task.

Sorry that you had to jump through some "flaming hoops," but is often the way that it is, with CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 7:54 PM   in reply to AirStream Pictures

PPro can't read seem to read Avid MXF files either.

DNxHD in an MXF wrapper would be a nice addition to the list of supported codecs.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points