Skip navigation
RSW360
Currently Being Moderated

I'm running Indesign CS5 & it appears my Adobe PDF presesets have stopped working. Can you help?

Nov 19, 2012 8:38 PM

I'm running Indesign CS5 & it appears my Adobe PDF presesets have stopped working. Can you help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to RSW360

Stopped working? How do you mean?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to RSW360

Does it work if you don't choose a preset, but just set the options the way you want them? How about if you creat a new file with just one page and just put a single empty frame in it?

This sounds like a problem with the background task. Have you opened the background tasks panel to check the progress?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to RSW360

It's under utilities in the window menu.

If the simple PDF works, that may indicate a problem with the file after all, but one way to to force the export to the foreground is to create a new Book (File > New > Book), then add the file that's giving you trouble to that book. (a Book is just a container format used to combine multiple .indd files into a single output)

From the Book panel flyout menu you can export to PDF and see what that does. Failure indicates a file problem, success a background task problem.

It's a little odd that you aren't getting an error message....

Anyway, if the problem is the file, try export in two halves. If both halves export, it's a system resources problem and not much you can do other than attempt to see what is using all the memory (probably some large complex vector object, or many vector objects) or just do the export in chunks that work and combine them in Acrobat Pro. If one half fails, try exporting half  fo the failing half at a time. Keep dividing the failing half until you isolate a page with the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to RSW360

Too soon to tell, I think. lets go back to trying to export in the foreground so we can specify page ranges and try exporting the front half and the back half of the file separately, then post back with the result. I'm hoping one half will work, but I suspect it wont.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to RSW360

RSW360 wrote:

How do you export in two halves? Copy half of the file to a new file & then add that to the container?

No. In the general section of the export dialog you can enter a page range...

But the failure of another file means it's more likely a program, or possibly a user profile, problem. I know I keep telling you something different, but the symptoms keep pointing in new directions.

What's your OS? Do you have any third party plugins for ID installed? A font manager?

I think the next test should be to create a brand new user on your computer, then log in with that user and try the export. That should tell us if the problem is in the user or a more general application problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to RSW360

OK, that's a good sign (except for the error message, but we can deal with that...)

Lets go back to the original account and trash the prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

Then let's go a step further and delete the other files you'll find listed at Adobe Forums: InDesign crashes at startup (substitue your version number as needed).

That should get us back to as clean as we can get, so restart ID and try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to RSW360

I put a link to another thread in step two. In that thread John Hawkinson put a list of files that can be deleted (his list was for CS5.5, so you may need to substute CS5 for CS5.5 in some of the paths). It occurs to me that these files are probably hidden in Mountain Lion, so you should also check out: Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion if you don't know how to show hidden files already.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to RSW360

No. Just the files in this list:

John's List.png

Looks like a couple of them are entire folders, some are files in various folders in the user library.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to RSW360

OK, in John's post the ~ a the start of the path is a standard appreviation for <User>/Library/, so I think you are in the right place.

> If I click on Caches, it brings up another list of folders including Adobe Indesign.

Delete that entire InDesign Folder. Similar for the other paths listed. If you see a folder with that name, delete the folder, otherwise look for a file with the name that is the last part of the path name after the last /

I'm sorry I'm not more helpful with this. I don't actually own a Mac..

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to RSW360

Did you delete the other things on the list, too?

It's expected that all of those things are recreated when ID restarts. That's why deleted them -- to get fresh ones.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 5:07 PM   in reply to RSW360

I'm really sorry to hear that. Would you be willing to send me the file? I want to see what happens here before we do more drastic things. I'll send you an upload link.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 5:11 PM   in reply to RSW360

Check your email for a message from Adobe Forums saying you have a new private message from me.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 3:11 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Just downloaded your file and had no trouble exporting it here with missing links and fonts. It could be a problem with a link or a font, but I suspect not. I'm sneding you another private message...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points