Skip navigation
Denver_66
Currently Being Moderated

Merging Folders in LR4

Nov 19, 2012 10:09 PM

Tags: #catalog #merge #folder_locations

I just went through the process of "Exporting as Catalogue" all of my photos from a small G-Drive to a 4TB G-Drive, then importing the lrcat into the new drive so that all of my adjustments and Metadata would be carried over with the images.  The photos now exist on both drives, but LR will only recognize one Drive at at time.  If I plug in the small (portable) drive, I have to "locate" the photos (and they are there) but the new drive doesn't show up. If I reverse the process and "locate" the photos on the new drive the portable doesn't show up.  If I plug them both in and try to "locate" I get the message "The selected folder or one of its subfolders is already in Lightroom. Do you want to combine these folders?" I did this once before and it showed both drives, but doubled the number of photos in the catalog. Is there a simpler way of getting both to show and allow me to access either when needed, or should I just combine them?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 1:18 AM   in reply to Denver_66

I am having a very similar problem.

I exported a Catalog off my Laptop and tried to import that Catalog on my Imac where my 3 year old master catalog exists and all hell has broken loose.

I now lost the typical indexing on the left side showing all the images on their proper harddrives, now it shows them under the harddrives but under the hardrive of the desktop.

When I try to move images or folders in Lightroom they now show missing and they do not show up on the left in grid view. When I hit locate and attempt to connect it asks as you say to merge. When I do it duplicates on left in Grid view. It is going to take a serious engineer to fix this. This could be the mother bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to AuthenticExposure

I too got confused until I realised LR isn't really a file manager. It users virtual files managed by the catalogue.

I too had a drive with a folder of images that had been catalogued and processed in LR and I desperately wanted to keep those adjustments when I created a new catalogue and folder set on a different drive. How I managed this is lost in the mists of time I'm afraid but it took me ages! I dread having to repeat it but will have to soon alas.

In Library mode, in the left pane, right click on the large plus symbol. Here are options for adding folders, setting paths to folders etc. Maybe this is the correct route? But I didn't use that, I somehow merged several catalogs. Adobe should explain all this to us!!

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 20, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to Denver_66

Are you Mac or Windows based? 

And what are you actually aiming for?  For example, do you work on a single laptop but only take the portable drive out with you?  It only recognizing one drive at a time sounds like the intended behaviour, if I'm understanding you correctly, but we can make the process quite simple.

It would probably help to see a screenshot of your Folders panel, just to check where we're up to, and how to get it working in exactly the way you want.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Nov 20, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to AuthenticExposure

AuthenticExposure wrote:

I now lost the typical indexing on the left side showing all the images on their proper harddrives, now it shows them under the harddrives but under the hardrive of the desktop.

Under a Volumes folder?  Don't worry, there's an easy fix.  Can I see a screenshot of the Folders panel please?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to Denver_66

Hi Denver,

LR is a database, which contains records about photos. One record per photo, and it needs to know to which photo-file point to.

So you cannot have it point to 2 locations for 1 record.

Do you auto-write xmp for your files?

Because if not, your photos will not differ between the old and the new drive. So it is sufficient to have LR point to one only.

If you want xmp for your files, I would still plug only the new drive and have LR write them. Then you can use some other backup software to create a safety backup from them, overwriting your old drive.

Alternatively you could plug just one drive sequentially and have LR write x,p to each.

If you really want LR to recognize both drives at the same time you need to duplicate the catalog records by importing the second drive again (disabling the setting nor to import suspected duplicates). But what for??

In your opening post you stated that you do not want this, which I consider wise.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 4:12 AM   in reply to Denver_66

Now, just to be clear, am I correct in my understanding that if I add XMP data to my files through LR, the corrections etc. will also be resident ON the photofiles themselves, and that if I then use a program like "Carbon Copy Cloner" to make cloned copies of the photo files (with XMP data) to a new drive they will ALL have the corrections etc up to date and the same?

The corrections are in the Lightroom database (which is commonly called the "catalog"). Although you can indeed write some of the metadata to the photo files, Lightroom generally does not use this data. It uses the corrections in the Lightroom database.

So if your goal is to create a copy of all your photos on a different drive, and have Lightroom maintain your edits and other metadata, the writing of the metadata to the photo's XMP is not a necessary step. However, you can indeed do so if you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Writing xmp is a belt-and-braces approach.

Some data of a LR catalog do not go into xmp, such as collection membership, virtual copies and stacks.

I do use xmp, but I have LR not set to continuously write them. I prefer to trigger that myself, by selecting the images and do ctrl s (cmd s on Mac). Usually twice: once when I consider my rating, GPS data, caption/title, keywording done. Once when I consider my develop work done.

If you go to All Photographs, then select all in library grid mode, and ctrl s, LR will write them in one big batch, which could take a while depending on number of images and writing speed to their storage location.

File formats like DNG, JPG, TIF have room inside for xmp data. Proprietary raw formats ( e.g. Nikon NEF or Canon CR2) will get a sidecar-file withe same name ending .xmp

Carbon Copy will take all and backup.

Xmp inside/along a file is handy if you want to share the image with somebody using Photoshop or somebody else with LR, as it will be read during import, or whenever you invoke the command from menu Metadata-read metadata from files.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points