• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't install Illustrator from Creative Suite (serial number not recognized)

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years ago, I bought the first Creative Suite (upgrade). Illustrator was working fine on my old computer. Since then, I've upgraded Photoshop and Dreamweaver individually (I didn't upgrade Creative Suite).

Now I need to install Illustrator on my new computer, but the installation fails:

(1) I tried to install Illustrator separately (from the Illustrator setup.exe file on the disks) and I input the only serial number I have (which is for Creative Suite) and get a "this isn't an Illustrator serial number".

(2) I tried to install Creative Suite but it prompts me for the location of Photoshop ... an OLDER version of Photoshop. I've got Photoshop CS5, but the installation correctly says that isn't an earlier version.

I believe I purchased my first Photoshop in 1997-ish. Do I really have to start from the beginning and install EVERY VERSION of Photoshop that I ever bought/upgraded in order to install Illustrator from the CS upgrade disk?

I tried looking for an Adobe phone number, but no joy.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which versions of which software do you have exactly?

Adobe Creative Suite CS (upgrade from standalone Photoshop in the 90s?).

You've since purchased Photoshop and Dreamweaver separately? (You cannot upgrade from a Suite to an individual component so I presume they were full versions).

Which version of Illustrator are you now trying to install? from the Creative Suite disc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Which versions of which software do you have exactly?

Have, or installed?

I have Photoshop LE, Photoshop 4.1 (I think it was -- the first version with layers), Photoshop 5.5, Photoshop 6, Creative Suite, Photoshop CS2, and Photoshop CS5.

After I purchased Creative Suite, I just wanted to upgrade the individual programs rather than the whole Creative Suite. However, I believe I purchased upgrades all along the way.

For Dreamweaver (though not the issue here), I started with the Macromedia programs, so the upgrade line started 'way back at Macromedia (and the installation of Adobe DW upgrades requires live tech support; unfortunately, as I can no longer find a phone number for Adobe, I guess I'd better hope nothing ever happens).

Anyway, does that help? You can see why I don't want to reinstall all those versions just to install Illustrator.

(And thanks for your help.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suite should merely be looking for the relevant registry keys in HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Adobe or alternatively the original install CD. You should not need to actually install anything therefore.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mylenium. Unfortunately, I'm trying to install!

I installed and upgraded Photoshop/Dreamweaver/etc. over a period of years. Then I bought the Creative Suite upgrade (that's where I got Illustrator) -- and later upgraded Photoshop individually a couple more times. When I got the new computer, I was able (with Adobe's help) to install the latest version of Photoshop that I possessed (which was an upgrade) without installing the earlier versions from which I had upgraded. That means that the ONLY version of Photoshop on this machine is CS5.

Now I just want to install Illustrator from the Creative Suite disk, but the installation procedure is looking for an earlier version from which I could upgrade to Creative Suite ... and it's not on this machine. (The box says "This upgrade version of the Adobe Creative Suite will install only if you are a licensed user of Adobe Photoshop 7.0 or earlier.)

I'm thinking I may need to talk to Adobe, but I don't quite know where to find a support phone number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm. I'm wondering if you're suggesting that I edit the registry; unfortunately, that's somewhat beyond my skills here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines