Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't install Illustrator from Creative Suite (serial number not recognized)

Nov 19, 2012 10:08 PM

Years ago, I bought the first Creative Suite (upgrade). Illustrator was working fine on my old computer. Since then, I've upgraded Photoshop and Dreamweaver individually (I didn't upgrade Creative Suite).

Now I need to install Illustrator on my new computer, but the installation fails:

(1) I tried to install Illustrator separately (from the Illustrator setup.exe file on the disks) and I input the only serial number I have (which is for Creative Suite) and get a "this isn't an Illustrator serial number".

(2) I tried to install Creative Suite but it prompts me for the location of Photoshop ... an OLDER version of Photoshop. I've got Photoshop CS5, but the installation correctly says that isn't an earlier version.

I believe I purchased my first Photoshop in 1997-ish. Do I really have to start from the beginning and install EVERY VERSION of Photoshop that I ever bought/upgraded in order to install Illustrator from the CS upgrade disk?

I tried looking for an Adobe phone number, but no joy.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 19, 2012 10:16 PM   in reply to Diane Vigil

Which versions of which software do you have exactly?

Adobe Creative Suite CS (upgrade from standalone Photoshop in the 90s?).

You've since purchased Photoshop and Dreamweaver separately? (You cannot upgrade from a Suite to an individual component so I presume they were full versions).

Which version of Illustrator are you now trying to install? from the Creative Suite disc?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 12:28 AM   in reply to Diane Vigil

The suite should merely be looking for the relevant registry keys in HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Adobe or alternatively the original install CD. You should not need to actually install anything therefore.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points