Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PSE 11 Instalation problem.

Nov 20, 2012 6:56 AM

I use W7, a PC.,  I am upgrading from PSE 8. I tried PSE 11 on the trial download and all worked fine. I bought the DVD for PSE 11 from Adobe directly. I then "UNINSTALLED THE TRIAL VERSION" and tried to install the new PSE 11 from the DVD. Near the end of the instalation, I keep getting: "Error was encountered while installing SHARED TECHNOLOGIES". I spent 5 hrs. following the troubleshooters sugestions, cleand the F Drive Head, downloaded Adobe Support Advisor, and everthing else it sugested, and still I get the same "Error Msg. before mentioned. I even went to Adobe Service Chat ... to no avail. I am really lost. I am not one to give up very easy, but I am really stumped!! Can anyone help me? I have never been on this forum before, so I'm not sure of proper protocol here. < email address removed by forum host> I have been around Adobe for about 4 years. Hope some kind soul will lend a helping hand. Thanks to all in advance. Boone.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 12:13 AM   in reply to William Blose

First of all, please remove your email address from your post as the forum doesn't support sharing private information.

For the problem you are facing, I would suggest you to first restart your computer, make sure that no other Adobe product is running and try installing PSE the first thing after restart.

For more details on the problem and detailed solution. you can check the following help link or follow the following post

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 12:19 AM   in reply to William Blose

First of all you did not need to uninstall the trial version to install the boxed one. You could have directly entered the serial number from the box and converted your trial into licensed one.

But now when you have done this, can you try closing down all product from adobe before installing PSE11? Shared Components are bunch of programs that are used by different Adobe programs. A simple restart of the system helps in many cases. Makes sure you don't have a Adobe software running on the system start-up (for example, any software using AIR or flash)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 12:38 AM   in reply to William Blose

Edit your post. Click on the Edit link after the post.

Firstly restart your machine. When it's completely up and running, go to Task Manager. Under the Processes tab, see if there is any program running related to Adobe. Check the Image name and Description fields. Hit Delete key and select End Process.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 12:52 AM   in reply to William Blose

Boone, you really donot need to be sorry, as it was not deliberate. It usually happens and people do get confuse. Please try the solution and share your feedback.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 2:47 AM   in reply to William Blose

Did you follow all the three solutions mentioned in the help link above??

Please do try those tomorrow.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to William Blose

I edited out your email address for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 6:24 PM   in reply to William Blose

If you are still unable to install PSE, can you please provide us the install log for it. Install logs can be found at C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\ with name Elements STI Installer 1.0 <date>.log.gz

Follow more on install logs at : http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-install-usin g-logs-elements.html#main_main_log

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to William Blose

You really don't have to apologize for anything.To error is human and mistakes makes you nothing but more human). I know you probably would be tired of putting all the effort for installing PSE, but all I ask for a little more patience.

First of all, for reading the log file, you need a decompression software. So you can follow following steps

1. Use a decompression utility such as Winzip to uncompress the .gz file. Once uncompressed, you will have a new file without the .gz extension. The filename could now be something like "Elemens STI Installer 1.0 11-21-2012.log."
    2. Open the .log file using notepad
    3. Copy the whole log and paste it here.

*Note: You can click on the text "Winzip" to go directly to the download page of Winzip. You don't need to buy winzip, even the free version would do.

Also, you might want to update your windows with latest updates as that too sometimes messes up with the shared technologies. Don't forget to restart your system again in case your windows updates.

Thanks for having the patience

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 10:03 PM   in reply to William Blose

Too bad to know that PSE is still not working for you. Though I can not give my email id to you ( forum policy ) has it really stopped us from doing anything. Please follow the following steps to upload your log files to a public server(filedump.org) and send me the link.

1. Open the website http://filedump.org/
    2. Click on Choose File
    3. Navigate to your log file and then click open. Wait a moment so that the website prepares your file
    4. repeat step 2 and 3 for all the files you want to upload
    5. once done, click upload files
    6. You would be presented a new page from where you can copy the link for your uploads.
    7. Post the link in the forum so that we can access your log files

Click the image below for a visual representation of the steps you need to take

Untitled-1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 2:31 AM   in reply to William Blose

All I could get from the log file is that because of some problem, the uninstaller for APE can not be copied to the said location. Can you please confirm what other adobe products have you installed? Also please check if following file already exists in your computer.  C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\uninstall\{F6F5021E-0548-43C1-82CC-C5C7A690658 5}.db

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 10:57 PM   in reply to William Blose

Please check if you can delete the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\uninstall\{F6F5021E-0548-43C1-82CC-C5C7A690658 5}.db

Also while working with Support team, you can inform them about the log and ask them to take a look into it. I believe it would give them a clear direction about how to correct the problem

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 4:20 AM   in reply to William Blose

Congratulations on successful installation of the software.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points