Skip navigation
Cmandell2855
Currently Being Moderated

CMS Questions

Nov 20, 2012 3:16 AM

I'm makimg a rather basic site for a friend. He does a podcast every Thursday and wants to be able to upload the video to the website without having to contact me or bother me once a week to add his video (I don't mind it, he just wants to do it himself). I've never really worked with changing and updating content once a week so I'm curious as to whether or not a CMS such as Joomla would do this for him.

If so, how would I account for the extra content in the container on the HTML/CSS side of things? Is there any special coding I need to implement to make a div expand with the extra content put in there?

Thank you in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to Cmandell2855

Joomla would work, but I wouldn't really recommend it for beginners.  I found that the toughest of all CMS' to learn personally because everything revolves around menus and when I say everything I mean everything. From page aliases to some features, if your pages are not manually added to menus they may not work as expected.  For a site like your friend wants I would probably take a look at Wordpress first.

And to clarify your one question, the container should never be made into a specific size if it is meant to expand. If some posts could be longer and others shorter, the primary content container should not have a height defined. If this idea sounds foreign to you and you have some example templates/sites you have made, show them and we can use them as examples.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to Cmandell2855

You might consider Perch: http://grabaperch.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to Cmandell2855

I don't think you really need a CMS for this.

If your server supports PHP, your friend could upload podcasts to a directory on the server.  The PHP script would read & write directory contents to the web page.  I do this quite often with images so clients can update galleries themselves.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 7:46 PM   in reply to Cmandell2855

I think that is exactly what Konductor CMS is for - simple updates.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points