Skip navigation
paalnilsen1
Currently Being Moderated

Lack of consistency between folders in Elements 11 Organizer and Finder (mac). Why?

Nov 20, 2012 5:01 AM

Tags: #mac #folder #folder_structure #photoshop_elements_11 #organizer_11 #inconsistency

I use Elements 11 Organizer and Photoshop Elements Editor on a mac (OS X 10.8.2).

I experience problems after I made some changes in the Image-folder on the mac and after moving/deleting folders directly in Elements Organizer. Now there are noe consistency between folders/files visible in Finder/Pictures and in My Folders in Elements Organizer.

One example: Directly in Finder, I created a new folder and moved pictures from two folders which I then deleted. In Elements Organizer, I still see the old structure (no new folder - still the deleted folders included the picture files).

I also experience folders in Elements Organizer that should not exist. When I right click on the folder, the options "Reveal in Finder", "Rename Folder" and "Delete folder" are greyed out and not clickable.

I have tried to refresh Elements Organizer, close it and restart the mac - nothing helps.

Can anyone please help me?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to paalnilsen1

If you are going to use organizer, you must use organizer. Do not move photos in the finder or the organizer will not know what you did with them. If it annoys you to have to use your photo manager to manage your photos, don't use organizer.

While the new organizer is somewhat more folder friendly than previous versions, the whole point of a program like organizer (or iphoto) is to stop thinking about the physical location of your images and manage them with tags and albums instead.

I'm not sure what you mean by

I also experience folders in Elements Organizer that should not exist.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to paalnilsen1

paalnilsen1 wrote:

One example: Directly in Finder, I created a new folder and moved pictures from two folders which I then deleted. In Elements Organizer, I still see the old structure (no new folder - still the deleted folders included the picture files).

Not sure if you have used the 'My Folders' or 'Show folder list' in the left folder panel ? Those two ways to display and work with folders must be understood before doing experiments, especially if you use Finder/Explorer to control results. You need to give more details on your procedure to make things clear.

See the video about the 'New UI' in the welcome screen.

And of course, Barbara is right about giving the priority to managing media files by tags albums and dedicated organizer tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to MichelBParis

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers