Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Scroll bar navigation w/mouse very erratic - not good

Nov 20, 2012 8:01 AM

Doing the kind of work we do, we navigate around imagery @ high magnifications using the scroll bars on the bottom and right side of a floating image window. I just discovered that this single-click-moves-one-screen view behavior that we have grown to depend on in every previous version of PS is broken/erratic/not reliable at all in CS6.

On my pc I'm using a Logitech G500 gaming mouse with programmable sensitivity, so I thought that might be the problem. But my coworkers (we have 5 additional CS6 installs at the moment, all up to date) using standard Dell mice are encountering the exact same problem - if you do not tap the left click with just the right pressure the screen will advance TWO places - or sometimes not at all. A normal mouse click will advance the screen two places. My pc has a different video card that the rest as well, and I've tried the basic, normal advanced and no GPU support NO change in this behavior.

This is a real deal breaker AFA getting CS6 integrated into our shop. I can grudgingly put up with some of the pointless UI changes made in this version, but to have such a basic and essential navigation tool busted 'out of the box' on 6 different computers is totally unacceptable.

Any help would be appreciated...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to TLL...

Don't see how it can be anything but a mouse controller, or some software interference that is common to all as have not seen this problem posted before.  Have you tried a wired mouse?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to TLL...

What tool are you using when you see this problem? 

Does problem exist at 100% magnification?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to TLL...

Tried at various magnifications up to 1200% with lasso tool.  Did not have any problems.

CS6 extended, Win7 64 bit ATI driver.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to TLL...

Not a direct help with solving your problem and I don't have CS6 but I've never used this for zooming after they introduced Ctrl + Space + dragging left or right on the image  to do the same.

And I think both zoom methods requires certain OpenGL enabled in the Performance Settings of the Preferences.

edit: I think I misunderstood you, you were talking about scrolling (panning) the image with the scroll bars, and I thought it is about zooming. Alternatives that I can offer for this is page up/down keys, and hold H to get temporarily the hand tool and pan.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to TLL...

This is the issue I've been having with CS6 AND CS5 on my new (non-Retina) MacBook Pro when scrolling/panning...is this what's happening for you, as well?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyRBUiDjavM&feature=youtu.be 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 26, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to TLL...

Sorry, didn't see your thread until now.

If you click on a scroll bar in Photoshop CS6 it will immediately repeat without waiting the normal amount of time before repeating, which yields multiple page scrolls.

This seems to be a departure from more or less standard UI behavior of the past, where there is a slight delay before the repeat starts - though Photoshop isn't the only application to do it (Internet Explorer is another offender).  It's been known since Photoshop CS6 was first released.  I believe it may even have been reported in the public beta.  I wouldn't bet that this isn't the intended behavior.

A workaround is to click the mouse right next to the scroll thumb, which will result in a one page scroll operation.

Note:  It may be that a configurable delay value somewhere in the system is affecting the timing.  I have purposefully shortened several delays on my system to make it more responsive, so what I'm seeing may not be what people see in the general case.

-Noel

P.S., I can pretty consistently reproduce the problem where it won't scroll at all by clicking in the scroll bar (causing a page scroll), then clicking again soon thereafter.

P.P.S., I just re-tested:  I can reproduce the expected behavior, including a short (near half second) initial delay and consistent response to clicking with Photoshop CS5 on this same system.  Photoshop CS6 definitely degrades the scrolling experience.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Nov 26, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to TLL...

Adobe would have to say whether they've changed the timing to be dependent on something different than before.  As I mentioned, with Photoshop CS5 on the same system the scroll bar operates as expected, even with my current configuration.

Just so it's clear, this is what's expected (and not what Photoshop CS6 is delivering):

1.  When one clicks on the area in the scroll bar not on the scroll thumb, the display will immediately move the thumb, scroll one page, then begin an initial click delay.  Under no conditions should a mouse click even in this area be ignored.  Even a double-click should be recognized.

2.  After the delay, e.g., 400 ms, has been exhausted and the mouse button is still held down and the thumb has not reached the mouse position, the display will move the thumb, scroll another page and begin a short repeat delay.

3.  After the short repeat delay is exhausted and if the mouse button is still held down and the thumb has not reached the mouse position the display will move the thumb, scroll another page and restart the short repeat delay.  This step will be repeated until the scroll thumb reaches the current mouse position or the mouse button is released.

Modern UI designers apparently seem to think the required behaviors of controls are "more like guidelines than actual rules", because as I mentioned other apps seem to be eliminating this initial delay - presumably to increase responsiveness.  But it's wrong to do so.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points