Skip navigation
NECubsFan
Currently Being Moderated

New computer, import tags and albums

Nov 20, 2012 11:20 AM

Is it possible to import/restore JUST the tag and album categories, without all the photos at the same time? I've changed operating systems, so I'm going to have to re-import my photos anyway, due to a different directory system, so I just really want to recover my old tags and albums.  Using PE10 on Windows 7.

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,852 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 20, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to NECubsFan

Yes you can do it starting with album data using a text file.

1. Open PSE10 Organizer and click on the dropdown menu to the right of the green plus symbol under albums in the right hand panel.

2. Choose save albums to file.

3. Select Export all albums and click OK

4. Choose a folder such as Documents and click save

5. Close PSE10 and launch the PSE11 Organizer

6. Click the album dropdown next to green plus symbol in the left hand panel then choose Import Albums from file

7. Navigate to Documents (or wherever you saved the XML file called Albums) and highlight it and click Open.

Repeat for tags using the right hand pane and the drop down next to the green plus symbol for tags.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to NECubsFan

NECubsFan wrote:

Is it possible to import/restore JUST the tag and album categories, without all the photos at the same time? I've changed operating systems, so I'm going to have to re-import my photos anyway, due to a different directory system, so I just really want to recover my old tags and albums.  Using PE10 on Windows 7.

You don't have to re-import your photos if you do it via a full backup from the organizer on an external drive and a restore on your new :

- OS

- Computer

- drive

- pse version

The backup also can restore on a custom master folder, independently from the folder structure of both systems. You choose the custom master folder and the folder tree will be reconstructed.

The change in PSE version automatically adds a conversion step after the restoration of the media files.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catal og-photoshop.html

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,852 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Nov 20, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to NECubsFan

The backup and restore procedure mentioned by Michel will mke a physical copy of all your images and associated tags and albums. If you are changing OS say from PC to Mac you would first need to in stall PSE11 on the old system; then on the new one, unless you are sticking with PSE10.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to 99jon

99jon wrote:

The backup and restore procedure mentioned by Michel will mke a physical copy of all your images and associated tags and albums. If you are changing OS say from PC to Mac you would first need to in stall PSE11 on the old system; then on the new one, unless you are sticking with PSE10.

That has been mentionned as the recommended way, but I don't see the point of installing PSE11 on the old system, unless you are in the case of Mac/Windows transfer at the end of the above link.

I have already transferred catalogs from older versions in XP to newer versions in Vista and Win7.

For transfer Mac/Win, read the link carefully.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points