Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Easiest way to subtract all of 1 color?

Nov 20, 2012 12:34 PM

Tags: #color #delete #pathfinder

I sometimes need to subtract all of a certain color from a document, so that the background color shows through. (As in the surface the design is printed on) I know one way to do this is by using the pathfinder, and individually cutting out each shape - but this can sometimes be tedious. Is there a way to quickly select and cut out all of a color? I don't mean just deleting the color - because that still allows shapes underneath to show through. I hope this makes sense, I'm having a bit of trouble explaining.

Also, I'm currently using CS5

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to Andrew8826

From the sound of things, Pathfinder is your best option.

You could always use Select > Same > Fill & Stroke and then set hte colors to none. But without seeing the artwork it's difficult to say of that would work for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to Andrew8826

Pathfinder.

Expand, Pathfinder > Merge, Select the white, Select > Same > Fill & Stroke, hit delete.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to Andrew8826

Create a global color called shirt Color , then chaneg the white hand fill to the colro you created. When you print seperations, just dont print the the shirt color channel.

Since this is a global color you can then quickly explore other shirt colors.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to Andrew8826

Another way that can achieve this is to select all white objects and set their fill to 0% opacity. Then group everything and in the Transparency panel click the Knockout Group box until a checkmark appears. This method is not destructive to the shapes of the objects and can be used for more flexibility while developing the artwork if the destination requires rasterizing in the file. I would use Scott's method for delivering final artwork to client or for output that requires this kind of path topology.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points