Skip navigation
mishi930
Currently Being Moderated

Background Master Not Showing In PDF

Nov 20, 2012 12:14 PM

Tags: #pdf #transparency #exporting #opacity

I have a 90 page ebook I've design in InDesign. I'm self taught and new(ish) to InDesign, so please bear with me.

My client needs the book for print and as an Interactive PDF. So, I've designed the file for print and am converting it to RGB when exporting it for web.

Regardless of if I export the file for print or web, RGB or CMYK almost all of the pages are missing the background. The strange this is I'm using Masters for the background and some pages show up properly while most don't even though the same Master is applied.The Master has a transparency (opacity) on it, but I've also tried removing this and exporting the file without it and still have the same problem.

Any help with this is MUCH appreciated.

Here you will see how Page 1 is exporting properly with a background texture and opacity overlay:

Screen Shot 2012-11-20 at 12.10.53 PM.png

Here you will see how Page 2 is exporting with no background image even though the very same Master is applied to it.

Screen Shot 2012-11-20 at 12.12.20 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 6:54 PM   in reply to mishi930

Master page items can be overridden on individual pages if that item itself is set to allow such overriding (context menu when selecting the item on the master page; in that context menu, you find Allow Master Item Overrides checked or unchecked). If it is allowed, try unchecking it; if the problem persists, make a copy of your file and apply master to pages after disallowing such overriding (flyout menu in the pages panel). It will be applied to selected pages only. Doing so may restitute items that you changed on purpose, but it might help understand the problem (if it has to do with such overriding at all). Anyhow, that's my first guess.

I don't even know if possible, but if, maybe you want to post the file itself?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to mishi930

Hate to say it, but everything exports here fine (with the exception of the missing images). Screen shot from Acrobat.

help2.jpg

While I don't think the issue is with an image, try removing the linked images one at a time. Perhaps an image is partially corrupted.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to mishi930

Have a look. About 300k PDF using the smallest file profile. The PDFX-1a file I generated was also fine.

Take care, Mike

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/help2.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to mishi930

You're welcome. No idea why you cannot export to other profiles. One of the mysteries I suppose. But in Acrobat, at least, you can repurpose it to smaller files, change the color space if desired, etc.

btw, I like the design. Seems the calm colors fit the purpose nicely.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to mishi930

Hi mishi,

Where in the PDF does it look rough? I quickly went through it and nothing jumped out and slapped me. What are you viewing the PDF in?

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to mishi930

Might be just a screen thing. I dunno. Both the screen shots look pretty much the same to me.

Here is one with your PDF I downloaded from your post above. Zoom level is 400%

Meditation_web.png

How does it print?

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 2:19 PM   in reply to mishi930

I don't know what type of monitor you are using, but that (and the drivers for it) can cause visual oddities. I am using an LCD screen, but not a high-quality--it is a laptop where I presently am.

Personally I think it is good as is. I mean, let's say I purchased this from you or your customer, I would think anything about the text differences that may or may not be there.

I think I mentioned this, but if not, pleasing design. Fits the subject I think.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points