Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Manage photos

Nov 20, 2012 12:50 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to Community Help

Can anyone help? I have converted files to dng format But I cant seem to change the file name to be the Exif capture date, does converting to dng change the original exif date?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to tonychadwick

No, it does not.

I, too, convert to DNG during import and rename the images afterwards.

How do you try to achieve this? And what is the result / the error message?

You can always have a look in the metadata panel which dates LR has, select to show EXIF if not displayed. What you find there is what you will get with renaming templates.

You could also test by importing as proprietary raw file, noting the exif capture date-time. Then convert the dile ro dng and check again.

Renaming must work identically on prop.raws as on dngs.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 4:18 AM   in reply to Cornelia-I

Hi Cornelia-1,

Thanks for your reply.

When I look in my exif Data Date  it says  20/11/2012  20:17:35  But I know this photo was taken at least 7 years ago!

Some of my images in the EXIF f info just show Date Time

But on others its shows Date Time plus Date Time Digitised  and Date Time Original

Could it be that there are different ways to convert and possibly not be able to access the original information from the file to get back to it.

This is a real worry as I now have deleted some of the original files and would like to know the exact date they were taken and not get them mixed up with others that may have the same date time.

Cheers for the help

Tony Chads

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to tonychadwick

tonychadwick wrote:

Could it be that there are different ways to convert and possibly not be able to access the original information from the file to get back to it.

Hi Tony,

I have used 2 ways of converting to DNG so far:

a) in import dialog via "Copy as DNG"

b) after import via "Copy" sometime later from the library module: selected files in grid mode, then Menu Library-Convert Photo to DNG.

Both of these methods preserve the capture date.

The 3 different time-fields are usually filled identical for files straight out of my cameras (which are Nikon or Canon).

Did you use a stand-alone DNG-converter outside of LR, e.g. because LR did not support your camera raw format yet?

During import I always select "make a 2nd copy to", even if this does not exactly match, but create a differnt folder structure (Imported on... subfolders) and leaves my proprietary raw format.

Not exactly a consolation for the past and deleted files... but a testing chance for new imports: do the capture dates afterwards differ between this 2nd copy and the import-converted DNG?

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 3:19 AM   in reply to Cornelia-I

Hi Cornelia,

Thanks for your reply, I have just checked my Time Machine backup and checked a dng file that was named for the date and time correctly i.e. 2005-04-02-11-54-09

There is a dng file and a jpg The Created date is:    24 July 2011 18:38  and modified:  16 Mar 2012 00:00

Could it be that when I Rename the files in Lightroom it gives them the date that they were converted to dng (Thus they have been Re- created to a new date)

and not the EXIF date the photo was originally taken?

If this is the case is it possible to rename files to the EXIF date and not the Created date? I can't seem to see a way to do this.

Thanks again

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 5:06 AM   in reply to Cornelia-I

Hi Cornelia,

Im posting these screen shots so that you can see the image thumbnails that are highlighted were taken at the same tim (Roughly)

You can see that the Information in the EXIF and IPTC box is different i.e.

The image with the date of 2005  has

Date Time original

Date Time digitised

and Date Time

The Image with the Date of 2012 does not have this Info and the

File Name

Original Filename

and Metadata Date are all the wrong Dates! 

Any Ideas whats going on?  VCheers Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to tonychadwick

Hi Tony,

Unfortunately I have no idea what is going on.

You can edit the dates for an image or several images, which would be cumbersome, but at least not impossible.

The renaming tokens always take the supposed capture date, you cannot change this. Your only chance is to get a grip on the capture date entries.

Did you use some software outside LR, mangling with capture dates?

What is your catalog setting about it?

I do not allow LR to write it back into exif.

If LR would not be good enough to rectify false capture dates you could consider to use the software Exiftool.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to Cornelia-I

Hi Cornelia,

Thanks for your replies. I've just re uploaded some TIFF files from a backup and changed the name to the capture date time. All well and good.

I then converted the file to a DNG and it then changed the Date Time in EXIF to todays date!

The file name still remained the date and time of original capture.

But if I renamed the file to the capture date again, (As I sometimes do it to a whole folder just to make sure they are all DNG's ) it changed it from the original capture date to todays date.

So it appears that when you convert a TIFF file to a DNG in Lightroom it changes the EXIF date to the date that it was converted.

Can you see any way around this, it seems like a flaw in Lightroom to me.

Thanks for all your help

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to tonychadwick

Hi Tony,

As I never use TIFF-format, let alone convert that to DNG  I can hardly answer.

I only convert proprietary raw files to DNG, i.e. NEF and CR2 in my case. For those the conversion process is flawless.

What is your motivation to convert a TIFF to a DNG?

I can understand if some consider sidecar-xmp-files a nuisance (which is only true if you look at them outside LR), but a TIFF would not even get one, if metadata would be saved from LR catalog to file, same as with JPG. There is storage space inside this file format, as in DNG.

So I would have some understanding for Adobe if this rare use case of DNG conversion got less testing attention ...

Can you really nail the effect to LR?

Or do you get the same changed dates when you use the stand-alone DNG-converter tool?

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to tonychadwick

tonychadwick wrote:

Hi Cornelia,

Thanks for your replies. I've just re uploaded some TIFF files from a backup and changed the name to the capture date time. All well and good.

I then converted the file to a DNG and it then changed the Date Time in EXIF to todays date!

The file name still remained the date and time of original capture.

But if I renamed the file to the capture date again, (As I sometimes do it to a whole folder just to make sure they are all DNG's ) it changed it from the original capture date to todays date.

So it appears that when you convert a TIFF file to a DNG in Lightroom it changes the EXIF date to the date that it was converted.

Can you see any way around this, it seems like a flaw in Lightroom to me.

Thanks for all your help

Tony

I think there is absolutely no reason or benefit to converting TIFF to DNG. You don't gain anything, there's not a single thing that is improved by doing this, but you do extra work. Extra work, no benefit, I don't like the sound of that.

So, by leaving the photo as a TIFF, it would seem your problems go away, AND you do less work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 4:53 AM   in reply to Community Help

After renaming a number of photos in LR4, I notice that the User Comments I inserted in Metadata have been deleted. Is there any way to prevent this, or will LR always delete User Comments when files are renamed? Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 5:02 AM   in reply to learningful

I think something else must have happened, it wasn't the rename ... BUT ...

this is an entirely new topic, perhaps you could start a new thread on this topic AND please tell us exactly what you did, exactly what field you put these comments into, and please please please state which version of LR (not LR4, but LR4.1 or LR4.2 or LR4.3) and also please state your operating system.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points