Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

When opening a CS 6 doc, why aren't facing pages centered in the window?

Nov 20, 2012 3:32 PM

It's driving me crazy that InDesign CS 6 opens facing-page documents, such as book chapters, with the spreads in erratic places: up, down, to the side, but seemingly never centered in the window! What's going on?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 20, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to Gary Niemeier

In my experience files open as they were last saved.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to Gary Niemeier

I did a little testing, repeatedly saving a facing page document on different spreads and at different magnifications.

If I save the document with a spread fit in window, that spread opens again fit in window.

If I have other magnifications when I save the document, InDesign remembers the magnification, and the spread I was on, but it doesn't center that spread in the window.

If this is important to you (honestly, I don't think most people notice), then when you close a document fit the spread in window when you close the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to Gary Niemeier

In my complete ignorance of what's possible with scripting, I'll ask scripters who might be watching: Is this is something that might be achieved with a script that runs when a document is saved and closed, and/or one that runs when a document is opened?

Gary Niemeier wrote:

Peter, thanks for responding. I just centered a layout, saved it, and when I opened it again, it was down, partway off the page. Even if your method did work, why on Earth should I have to center a spread and save it that way, just to have InDesign open documents in a manner that should be its default behavior? What logic is there to open a file up, down or otherwise not centered in the window, if that's NOT the way you left it? Even when I try zooming in, selecting some text, saving that position, and re-opening the file, the spread has moved when I re-open the file. It's driving me crazy.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to Gary Niemeier

All I can suggest is that you make a feature request.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to Gary Niemeier

You haven't mentioned your OS, but I'm going to guess Mac. Do you use the application frame? That may be important. It's also possible that you need to trash your prefs. See Replace Your Preferences for a manual method that will allow you to restore the old ones (and your customizations) if it turns out not to help.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter,

I did my testing with the Application Frame on and that was what I found. Mac OS X 10.8.2 and InDesign CS6 8.0.1.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 2:52 AM   in reply to Gary Niemeier

I didn't expect the prefs to solve the problem, so I'm not surprised, and I'm pretty oblivious to how files open as I never seem to need the same view I left, but I can appreciate how it would be frustrating for you. Sorry I can't think of anything else.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points