Skip navigation
Rona58
Currently Being Moderated

Smart objects and linked adjustment layers- what moves when replacing contents?

Nov 20, 2012 5:54 PM

Tags: #smart_objects #workflow #adjustment_layers

I created a smart object with linked adjustment layers. I made them into a group. (I also tried this with the layers just being linked, and not grouped.) I want to move the smart object, with its adjustment layers, into another document. Ideally, I'd like to do this using "replace contents." When I do so, the smart object comes into the destination document flattened with its adjustment layers. Is there some way to keep those adjustment layers linked, not flattened, to move with the smart object layer?

The workflow I'm trying to achieve is to remove blemishes, etc. and make my all changes to my layer that I'd want to have made no matter what size and context I use that layer in. That is, make one smart object I can slot into a postcard, a 14 x 11 print, and other products. I don't sharpen until I have moved the layer/smart object into my target document, so that sharpening is appropriate for the final print size. Depending on the size and context, I may want to make changes to the levels/curves/hue saturation type adjustment layers though, so having these flattened when I bring the smart object in to my target document is disappointing.

Please help me to figure this out.

Thank you!

BTW, the original smart object is in a RGB document, and the target document is CMYK.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to Rona58

BTW, the original smart object is in a RGB document, and the target document is CMYK.

So what are you talking about exactly?

Several RGB Adjustment Layers can simply not be (edit) converted to CMYK.

Or do you expect the Adjustment Layers inside a SO to affect underlying Layers in the containing doucment?

That would not be possible as an instance of a SO is represented as one pixel Layer in the containing doucment.

Could you please post some screenshots or mock-ups to clarify your point?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,993 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to Rona58

So if you have as smart object layer with some and some linked adjustment layers that are clipped or un-clipped to smart object made into a group. You can target the group then use menu Layer>Duplicate Group (Shift+Ctrl|CMD+Q) shortcut to duplicate the group into your other document. Then in the other document you can replace the embedded smart objects layer embedded contents.  Just remembered "replace contents." that  replaces the embedded object it does not change the associated transform of the layer so you better make sure the replace object size is the same size of the original object was.   All object are not created equal in size. If the original object is seceral layers or an image file like a RAW of jpeg file and you replace it with a PSD file the replace contents will be the PSD File snd have the size if the psd file. The Associate transform was recorded for the size of the original object. If the new content does not have the same size the smart object layer size will be different the the original smart object layer size.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points