Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Motion Menu - Thumbnail Offset is Blank

Nov 20, 2012 11:11 PM

I'm using Premier Elements 8 on a Windows 7 PC.  I am setting up my disc menus for 10 scenes, all with a Motion Menu Button.  I have successfully setup the three of the 10 scenes but the other 7 are blank/dark.  I have tried changing the thumbnail offset by entering a value and by scrubbing but it's still blank.  What am I doing wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 5:17 AM   in reply to WinslowY

With all those motion menus going at once, it's possible that it's too much for your computer to create the preview on the fly. So you can go ahead and burn your DVD and see if the final result looks good.

Although 10 scenes on one menu page -- all playing little loops of video? That's a lot of movement!

Have you tried turning off the motion menu feature for the thumbnails to see if that makes all of the scene thumbnails visible?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to WinslowY

Are the Buttons (with Motion Thumbnails) all on one Menu, or are they on several Scene Selection Menus?

Which Menu Set Template did you choose?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to WinslowY

Somethings is wrong somewhere, Winslow. And, well, we can't ignore the possiblity that it may be related to the fact that you're using a four year old version of the program on Windows 7, an operating system it was never designed to work on. It also doesn't help that you're using one of the less successful versions of the program. (Although be sure to go to Help/Check for Updates and ensure you at least have the version 8 patch.) But you may want to consider upgrading to version 11 -- one of the best versions Adobe has produced in some time.

Meantime, what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? How did you get the video onto your computer?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to WinslowY

OK, with 2 Scene Selection Sub-Menus, that probably takes my first thought off the table.

I was concerned that you have done custom Buttons, and had 10 on the same Menu. As no element of a Button (described as a rectangle, including every element, plus a few pixels) may overlap any part of another Button. Not the case here though, as you are letting PrE do the necessary navigation.

Now, one thing that cause similar to what you describe, and that is having Chapter Markers too close to one another. Are you Chapter Markers pretty spread out on your Timeline? If you have any concerns about the spacing, just post a screen-cap of your Timeline, showing the Chapter Markers, and someone can rule that out. Actually, that screen-cap might show up other possibilities, so I would attach one to your Reply (via the little "camera" icon).

As a tip, when authoring a DVD, I do several things to test the Project:

1. Preview (however, this is but an emulation, and not a perfect one)
    2. Burn to Folder and use a DVD software player to test
    3. Burn to Disc, using an RW disc to be played on my computer, and in several set-top players. Note: the RW disc is ONLY for testing, and never delivery
    4. Burn to Disc with high-quality blank media, if everything checks out, for delivery

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to WinslowY

The first thing that I would do is remove the Stop Marker from the end of the Timeline.

I'll study the screen-cap, and see if I can find anything else.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to WinslowY

At the point, below the CTI (Current Time Indicator), is that a Stop Marker right below the Chapter Marker?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to WinslowY

I do not use PrE to author DVD's (Adobe Encore, instead), but I seem to recall that there is a Marker spacing minimum. For some reason, 04 sec. jumps into my mind, but I could be very wrong there. For an NTSC Project, that would mean ~ 120 Frames, between them.

As a test, do a Save_As, changing the name, to something like "Test," so as to not affect your Project. The new one will be open in PrE. Now, remove that ending Stop Marker. Randomly drag your Chapter/Menu Markers, so that they are spread out a lot more. Set any Offset to 0. Preview that Project, to see if things have changed.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I am off to look over Steve Grisetti's PrE book, and the authoring chapter, to see if maybe I am missing something in your screen-cap.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to WinslowY

Winslow,

Glad that you were able to get the Project working.

I would still omit the Stop Marker at the end of the Timeline, as it is not necessary, and having one has caused issues for many.

I had been working on a similar DVD to yours, but from one of my "test" Timelines. I had manually spread my Chapter Markers out along it, and Previewed. Then moved them closer and closer in some places. Still fine. I then did Offset, by the method that you describe - scrubbing, and it still worked. I had Stop Markers along with the Chapter Markers, to return to the Main Menu for each "Chapter." Still worked. I was unable to duplicate what you had seen, but then was working from my Timeline, so there WERE differences, but not sure what I was missing in my test, as I could not get the thumbnail display, that you had. Something was different, and then you beat me to the punch, by getting your Project to behave properly.

Do you think that it was the Offset, in your original Project, that caused the issue?

For me, it was a good exercise, because, as I stated, I use Adobe Encore, and not PrE to author, so I got some practice with authoring in PrE. There are some major differences between those two programs, though they DO share a bit of the same code. I also got to dust off Steve's PrE book, just to refresh my memory regarding authoring. Thanks for getting be back into PrE, and exploring its authoring capabilities, and getting me to revisit Muvipix Guide to PrE.

Thank you for reporting your success, and if all is well, you can then mark your thread as Answered - per this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058744?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to WinslowY

Winslow,

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the exact cause, plus your steps to correct things. That info will likely help others in the future.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points