Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Columns of text within a frame

Nov 21, 2012 2:17 AM

hi, i need to put just some of the text of a famre in columns. can it be done in some way? when i choose columns in Text Frame Options it puts all the text in a frame in columns

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 2:46 AM   in reply to ebenpublishing

I've never heard of a way to do that with a single frame, but there are lots of things that I don't know, so maybe…

One thing you can do is cut the text from the frame and place it into a separate multi-column frame. That multi-column frame can be placed adjacent to the single-column frame, or inserted into the single-column frame as an anchored object, which would allow it to move with the flow of text. You could also insert a table with one row and three columns, but it would be easier to control the column breaks by using a multi-column text frame than it would be to use a table.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 3:21 AM   in reply to Michael Gianino

Yes, use the Span paragraphs option since CS5. Sekect the text then use Split paragraphs, then choose your number of columns. Now you have columns insde your frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 3:22 AM   in reply to ebenpublishing

Using CS5 or later you have access to the span and split columns features. Splitting the text to multiple columns might do what you need. Anothe option might be to put that text into a table.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 3:41 AM   in reply to Frans van der Geest

Frans van der Geest wrote:

Yes, use the Span paragraphs option since CS5.

That's a good idea. That didn't occur to me because I was thinking that the majority of the text would be one column, with the exception in three, so I was picturing how to do it in a one-column text frame. I suppose you could set the frame for three columns and all of the text to span except the part that you want in columns. It just goes to show you that persepctive is a wonderul thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 3:43 AM   in reply to Michael Gianino

No, the opposite, most likley. Set the special text to split into three subcolumns.

Span and split are neither completely intuitive, in my opinion, nor 100% foolproof.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 3:48 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yeah, I've been looking into it since I posted. That's not a feature I've ever needed to use, so I've only poked around in it for my own curiosity. Nice feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 3:57 AM   in reply to Michael Gianino

As I recall, one of the problems it has is that it doesn't work as expected with Keep Options or space before/after, but I haven't used it in quite awhile for splitting. I do use it regualrly for spanning headlines on a multi-column story. It's great for that.

My memory is I thought it would be good for recipes splitting the ingredients into two columns, then shifting back to one for the directions, but it turned out not to do what I had in mind because each ingredient was a separate paragraph so the list didn't wrap into multiple columns as hoped. The OP may have that problem, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 4:02 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Split columns has it limits and problems indeed. Anchoring a textframe with two columns may be more flexible...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 4:07 AM   in reply to Frans van der Geest

Anchored frames are hardly trouble-free, either. A table will break across pages, though only between rows.

I think the OP is going to have to look at all of the possibilities and make a choice based on the actual text flow.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points