Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Low color saturation in PDF

Nov 21, 2012 5:07 AM

Tags: #color #cmyk #rgb #low #saturation

Dear community,

I experience low color saturation in PDF created from other applications, such as Microsoft Office, InDesign, etc.:

http://cloud.screenpresso.com/xzeef/2012-11-21_17h01_45.png

I read something about conversion from RGB to CMYK during PDF export, but it's practically impossible to supply CMYK images to the original Word documents.

What are the reason and possible workaround for this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Andrey Kazak

We could look at your Color Management settings. This is found in Preferences. Here's my setup.

cm.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 3:01 AM   in reply to Andrey Kazak

I use Acrobat X Pro, Windows XP. What do you use?

I have used Photoshop to test the exact colours in screen shots, since comparing appearances is tricky. I see the same colour values in my Acrobat that you see in your Word. I have the same colour settings as you (without the Creative Suite synchronization stuff).

No CMYK conversion has taken place. There is no profile attached to this image, so the colour is really almost irrelevant. How it looks is going to vary enormously according to the software in use and people's default settings, even on calibrated monitors. Maybe actually applying a profile would narrow the differences.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to Andrey Kazak

I downloaded the files and except for compression artifacts in the pdf flower pattern, they appear to be the same color.

testscreenshot.png

Two possible places to check: Word's PDF preferences next to the Create PDF button. If you use Standard, the color profile is sRGB. If you picked a Press Quality setting, the sRGB file is converted to CMYK. You have to click Advanced Settings under the Standard or Press Quality, then click Color in the left pane to see what the Color settings are.

The other culprit could be Windows 7 Color Management. (found in the Control Panel)  That's about all I can think of. If neither works, I'll have to defer to better minds.

Gene

windows cm.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points