Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do files end up spread around an account?

Nov 21, 2012 4:57 AM

Tags: #file #lost #files #elements #locations

My elderly mother uses Elements 6 on Vista to manage her several thousand photos.  She is not very computer literate, but manages well enough, editing photos and putting them in mails and documents (word/publisher).  Photos are added normally by connecting the camera via USB and letting Elements import them.  Sometime she scans documents into Elements too.   She not infrequently complains of photos disappearing altogether or of them becoming 'missing' ie. Elements cannot find the underlying file.

I maintain the computer remotely (from a different continent) using LogMeIn and know little of Elements. On trying to help look for missing photos, I noticed that rather than all photos being in her 'Pictures' directory, there are also photos spread around in other 'Documents' subdirecories. There are even one or two that seem to be in the 'Recycle Bin'.  When I ask Elements to look for missing photos it searches all over the place, even going so far as the Guest account!

As my mother does not know enough to have decided to spread the photos around like this, I guess it must be Elements.  The only thing that I can think of is that dragging a photo from Elements to, say a Word document, manages to move the underlying files in Elements. But that seems an odd thing for the program to do on purpose.

Can anyone shed any light on this puzzle please?  How does it happen? How can it be stopped?

I understand that there is a newer version of Elements but am reluctant to upgrade for fear of losing all of the tags/albums etc that are associated with the photos.  Can anyone offer any advise on the likelyhood of an upgrade going smoothly?

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to williamroymorris

Missing files occur when files are moved or deleted from folders or using Explorer. That breaks the link that Elements stores in it’s database. An upgrade would behave in exactly the same way. It is possible to add My Documents to the watch folders which automatically updates the Elements Organizer (the default is My pictures) and that may reduce the number of missing files. On the Organizer menu go to:

File >> Watch Folders

Then click the add button and navigate to My Documents.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to williamroymorris

williamroymorris wrote:

My elderly mother uses Elements 6 on Vista to manage her several thousand photos.  She is not very computer literate, but manages well enough, editing photos and putting them in mails and documents (word/publisher).  Photos are added normally by connecting the camera via USB and letting Elements import them.  Sometime she scans documents into Elements too.   She not infrequently complains of photos disappearing altogether or of them becoming 'missing' ie. Elements cannot find the underlying file.

I maintain the computer remotely (from a different continent) using LogMeIn and know little of Elements. On trying to help look for missing photos, I noticed that rather than all photos being in her 'Pictures' directory, there are also photos spread around in other 'Documents' subdirecories. There are even one or two that seem to be in the 'Recycle Bin'.  When I ask Elements to look for missing photos it searches all over the place, even going so far as the Guest account!

As my mother does not know enough to have decided to spread the photos around like this, I guess it must be Elements.  The only thing that I can think of is that dragging a photo from Elements to, say a Word document, manages to move the underlying files in Elements. But that seems an odd thing for the program to do on purpose.

Can anyone shed any light on this puzzle please?  How does it happen? How can it be stopped?

I understand that there is a newer version of Elements but am reluctant to upgrade for fear of losing all of the tags/albums etc that are associated with the photos.  Can anyone offer any advise on the likelyhood of an upgrade going smoothly?

First, let's see how the files are imported in your drives:

- You want to be in charge of that task and download the files where you want. Organizer simply notes where you have put them when you 'get photos from files or folders'

- The files are written on your disk via another software (mail attachments for instance). Same as above.

- You are using the PSE downloader to get 'files from camera or card reader' (not compulsory). That's where the Organizer puts the files somewhere. There is a default folder you can specify in the menu preferences. You can always choose an option (advanced) to create subfolders by date in the downloader advanced dialog;  you can always control and change the default by the time of import.

- Another possibility is getting files by scanning : there is also a default folder to set in the preferences. Same as above, you can control and change it when you scan;

For files in the 'Recycle bin', see that faq:

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Photos _appear_in

In short : you are in control. Start with choosing the right defaults when using the downloader or scanner. Then think about how to organize yourself the files imported externally.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2012 12:49 AM   in reply to williamroymorris

williamroymorris wrote:

So are you saying that Elements will never move pictures itself - ie. if Organizer says that a picture is in Documents\Some\Strage\Path then Elements didn't put it there unless the default happens to point there or my mother explicitly told it to put the pic there?

Explicitly may not be the right word, but 'without noticing it' or without checking the import path.

Will copying/dragging a pic into a document never move the underlying image files?  The reason I suspect this is that on occasion my mother has had trouble manipulating pictures in Word that she has somehow copied/dragged (don't know which) from Elements. It turned out that the Word contained not an image file but a .psd file.

I must say I have no idea of how to drag a picture from the Organizer to Word. Copy and paste via the clipboard would not cause problems. Using inmport picture within Word would be ok.

Maybe there is situation where it is not obvious if you are working in the Organizer folder view or the explorer : when you choose 'Reveal in explorer'. What you are seeing is no longer the Organizer folder tree, it's the real explorer, and then you can drag and drop. A quick test did show that the result was a copy, not a move... unless I have missed something.

Edit:

There are other situations when the Organizer opens real Explorer dialogs : in the editor in the file menu to open, save...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points