Skip navigation
Rulphy
Currently Being Moderated

Making a net in Indesign?

Nov 21, 2012 8:01 AM

Tags: #cs5 #template #indesign #product #catalogue #net

Is it possible to make a product net in Indesign CS5?

What would be the best way to create this template?

I have to design an accurate box cover with images and text on, and all the tabs ect.

The only way I can think of is by making all the different areas and tabs and joining it all together?

But that is going to be really long...

Hope someone can help me out,

Cheers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to Rulphy

Help those of us who are jargon challenged in the packaging industry and tell us what a product net is.

Seems to me that a box cover starts life as a flat sheet and would b similar to designing any other die-cut and folded piece. You can do that in Illustrator or in ID. I would start5 with the documetn size large enough to hold all of the various panels and tabs when unfolded, then add guides and create the various panels. You may have to rotate a few frames as you go. You can also create each panel as a separate file and place into a larger file, but that seems like a waste of time to me unless you are working with a template where much of the design can be static and you need only change one or two panels per product.

You should add a die-line to the file, usually on a new layer, and it should use a dedicated spot color so it outputs separately, and be sure to select it and open the Attributes panel so you can set it to overprint or it will leave a knocked out shadow of itself in the printed art.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to Rulphy

But that is going to be really long...

Yes, there is nothing in InDesign to "automate" any element(s) of that process specifically. Good work takes as long as it takes. With one set of known sizes and shapes built, the balance of the design will consist of duplicates in other locations/orientations. Sometimes I find myself wishing for such mathematically delineable work, no matter how long it might take. Enjoy the process.

Peter Spier wrote:

Help those of us who are jargon challenged in the packaging industry and tell us what a product net is.

Here's a good fundamental explanation: http://www.mr-d-n-t.co.uk/nets.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to John Mensinger

Thanks, John. That's pretty much waht I thought, though I've never heard the term in use before.

ID can definitely do this, as I outlined above.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 1:22 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

It's a new term to me as well.

If the OP has a one-off project and indesign is all that is available, then it's a case of slog it out and do it manually. If I was making carton, packaging or labels, i'd be using Esko software - allows the design to be constructed in 3D so that the product can be "virtually" assembled prior to output.

InDesign is great for 2D printing such as business cards, books, letterheads, catalogues... for designs which have to wrap around objects which aren't necessarily flat or square shaped, more dedicated packaging software would be the way to go.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points