Skip navigation
MrReel
Currently Being Moderated

Why does my video become longer after exporting from Flash?

Nov 21, 2012 8:21 AM

Tags: #youtube #video #export #flash_cs5 #quicktime

I am a relative novice in Flash and working in CS5. When I test my file, it plays perfectly with the audio I embedded in my timeline. I tried a couple different compressions when exporting into a Quicktime file, but my video which is only 32 seconds long at 30 fps becomes 52 seconds long! The animation slows considerably, and yet the audio I embeded plays perfectly. Any advice as to how I can get it to match the "test movie" option so I can get this bad boy on YouTube?

PLEASE and THANK YOU!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to MrReel

What is the nature of your animation? Is it all timeline based or do you mix scripting?

If you mix scripting probably your best alternative is a SWF to Video converter.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to MrReel

You'd know it if you did it so no worries. You're in the best possible scenario for exporting a movie. Can you take a look at the metadata in the video you export and mention what codec, resolution and frames per second it reports. Also verify if the resolution matches your Flash animation or not. Just open the file in Quicktime and hit Show Movie Info, it should be in there.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to MrReel

I see the folder icons and they look Mac so are you on OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion? Adobe has mentioned CS6 is not compatible with Mountain Lion.

If there isn't anything confidential in the FLA, you can PM me a link to download it and I can attempt to export it using Windows. I'd need you to hit File->Save As and use the drop-down to save the FLA to version CS5.5. I'd like to see if I get the same results exporting your animation on Windows.

If that's not possible I see no immediate issue with the codec details reported in your picture. I'd need to see the FLA setup to really diagnose your issue and provide advice on how to export it in the future if it's not simply related to a lack of compatibility with your OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to MrReel

My thinking is that it is like something I have come up with when making my movies.  Sometimes my frame rate lies (so to speek) and it gets fixed by just speeding it up or by slowing it down.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to FrostByte1995

Try a very easy test. Open a new document, animate a shape moving across the screen using a motion tween. Then add a new layer and add the audio you're using. Export that as a movie and see if you get any FPS issues.

Alternatively you can find many tools to convert SWF to video formats. It'll be a bit more difficult to find tools for Mac but they're out there. This method is often used on SWFs containing lots of code that generate parts of animations because the built in Movie export tool doesn't handle scripting.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to sinious

ya that would work to.  thanks for the other and maybe better way.  just depends on the size of the SWF and the power of the computer, if the computer cant reload it then it would not work but other then that it would be a good test.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to FrostByte1995

Again I don't mind helping export it if you need a hand. If you have the suite then you have apps like After Effects and Premiere which can easily help you fix video issues. I'd just export the FLA to a video and if I somehow had the same issue I'd take the separate audio in a new layer, slow the video down to match the audio time and it should line up.

Let me know if you need a hand.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to sinious

i do not have all that cool stuff,  but it would work.  i think i got it.  did you MrReel?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to MrReel

Without knowing the overall innards of the timeline it's hard to suggest a strategy other than those already mentioned. A clean test worked fine so the audio doesn't seem to be the issue.

Can you explain what is "buggy" about the output from the converters? Again, those should only be used if there's code involved to facilitate the animation. They essentially run the SWF and attempt to capture each frame as an image while stitching them together into a video. It's a fairly simple thing to do so it's hard to go wrong unless the hardware on the computer isn't keeping up with the SWF frame rate.

Flash CS6 is not compaible (to my knowledge) with 10.8 so that works to your advantage. Perhaps you can try downloading a trial of Flash CS6 and see if your export issue goes away. It won't solve why CS5 is giving you issues but it does put the power in your hands to export it for now. If it still fails to export that's a pretty convincing argument that a gremlin on the timeline is monkeying around.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points