Skip navigation
Michaelhc
Currently Being Moderated

Drag & drop function not availble? Adobe XI

Nov 21, 2012 9:49 AM

Tags: #drop #not #& #to #multiple #combine #function #drag #pdf's #available?

We just upgraded to XI from 8. We use the drag and drop function to merge multiple pdf's. Is this function function not available anymore? The only thing found has been the "insert pages" function which is an additional step and seems to have a hard time importing quickly. This function hangs for close to 30 sec then incorporates. Any direction would be much appreciated.

Replies
  • George Johnson
    11,730 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Nov 21, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to Michaelhc

When you launch Acrobat 11, the startup screen has an item "Combine Files into PDF" that lets you drag & drop files and easily reorder them. The same thing is available under: File > Create > Combine Files into a Single PDF

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Michaelhc

The ability to drag thumbnails most certainly IS in both Acrobat 8 and Acrobat 9.

However, there may be something else interfering. Perhaps one of both files has security setting that don't permit modifying the file(s).

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,730 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Nov 21, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to Michaelhc

So you're asking about dragging and dropping pages from one document to another? For that it depends on which page is the current page, the one that's currently being viewed. If you want to drag the current page,  you have to click and drag the little page number that appears beneath each page in the Pages pane into the Pages pane of the other document. If you want to copy a non-current page, just click on one and drag & drop.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,730 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Nov 21, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Michaelhc

I don't see that. You don't have to right-click at all, just left click and drag a page. If you want to drag the current page, you have to click on the page number and then you can drag the page. When I right-click a page number or page, the context menu appears.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2013 12:53 PM   in reply to Michaelhc

Wow. I just upgraded too, and being limited to just the page number vs the entire thumbnail is highly annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to Michaelhc

I'm having the same issue. Normaly I just drag and drop a page onto the finder to extract a page.  I can't do that anymore. Is that a bug?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2013 3:07 AM   in reply to tranceplantt

Do you use MS Windows?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2013 3:22 AM   in reply to Bernd Alheit

There seems to be an issue with the page magnification. When the whole page is not visible, there is an additional use for thumbnails to allow page scrolling. It's still possible to drag but harder. So zooming out until whole page is visible might make the process easier.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points