Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

clip sort order in media browser?

Nov 21, 2012 12:59 PM

Tags: #sort_order

I"m really enjoying the new icon view from Prelude to Premiere!! However, I"ve had a nagging question I keep delaying till the next project. Now, finally here's question.

I've read a bit about clip order in bins w/icon view vs list view, this is related directly to viewing clips in the Premiere Media Browser for importing. Am I missing a setting somewhere? In either List View or Thumbnail View numbered clips appear out of order.

Thanks!

Mac 10.8.2 and CS6

Premiere sort order mixup.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Glitchdog

Those are not out of order at all. They are perfectly sorted. In alphabetical order.

The way to avoid that is to use more leading zeros.

If the files names had been S1132-0007.mov through S1132-0111.mov you would have still been in alphabetical order but it would have appeared to be in numerical order as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to Glitchdog

Glitchdog wrote:

Thanks Steven,

Ok I was only half wrong so they are in alphabetical order, but not numerical order. In the Mac finder window in list or icon view it sorts automatically in alphabetical and numerical. Question 1: Is there no way to change the sorting order in Premiere?

I'm still living with a few projects that were shot on tape and where the previous video editor auto numbered digitized clips. Question 2: I'm not going to redigitize this project in Premiere, but for another tape based project would I be able to set up this numbering scheme you mention?

The mac finder sorts them correctly due to an update they did to the OS a long time ago that means it recognizes 10 as coming after 9 rather than needing to put 09 for it to work. Most systems don't work that way.

You could always download a simple batch renaming app, I think there's a few around, and just rename them with zeros in front. Would probably take you about ten minutes tops, including downloading the app.

As for sorting them within Premiere, in list mode you just click the header of the column you want to sort by. But if you're sorting by name it will display them in the order they're currently in, because that is technically correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to SimonHy

If one has Bridge, it can batch Rename files.

I use a PC-only (I think, unless they have ported it for X-platform) Asset management utility, ThumbsPlus, as it offers me more Renaming control, though it is not free.

I also have some free utilities (again on my PC), but rely on ThumbsPlus most often.

I would assume there are as many such utilities for the Mac.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points