Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Saved files in CS6 have merged all my layers into one!!

Nov 21, 2012 12:36 PM

Hi,

I downloaded CS6 for the MAC and have been using it fine, come to use Photoshop 6 on my PC upstairs and a PDF which has been saved now opens on the PC but as one layer not the 20 layers that it is built up from - any ideas what has happened?

Thanks,

Richard

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to rjtyrell

Are you doing the same thing as this link?  http://forums.adobe.com/message/3655326 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 11:22 PM   in reply to rjtyrell

Why save it as PDF in the first place when you open it in another instance of Photoshop? Makes no sense at all. always use a program's native file format if you wnat to edit it further. You wouldn't save a Word document as a PNG, eitehr, if you plan on changing the text....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to rjtyrell

Photoshop PDF is a special flavor of PDF that allows for the possibility of reopening in Photoshop while keeping all layers intact and editable.

When you saved your file in Photoshop CS6 as a Photoshop PDF did you make sure "Layers" was checking in the save dialog box and also "Preserve Photoshop Editing Capabilities" in the "Save Adobe PDF" dialog box that comes up after you hit Save? (you are dealing with two different dialog boxes with Photoshop PDF)

What happens if you reopen the Photoshop PDF in CS6 on the mac? If the layers are missing there, then the problem is the file wasn't saved correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to rjtyrell

I belive that Photoshop 6 (released 2000) was the first version of Photoshop PDF that allowed saving layers (but I may be wrong)

This message probably refers to versions 5.5 and earlier. Have you actually tried this?

The first Photoshop PDF; when you re-opened it in Photoshop CS6 on the mac, were the layers still there?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 8:03 PM   in reply to rjtyrell

I am having a similar problem. I need to save my layered Photoshop file as a pdf so that my client can review the dieline separate from the art. When I SAVE AS, I make sure to check the LAYERS box. When I preview the pdf file in Acrobat (to confirm that the layers are present) the file doesn't have any layers. I used to do this successfully all the time with Photoshop CS5 so that both the client and the printer could access the art separately from the dielines. VERY FRUSTRATING!! Can anyone help, please?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2012 9:52 PM   in reply to GhofraniGraphics

Acrobat can't read Photoshop layers.  What you're describing is a different issue entirely,  and one that is fully expected since Acrobat is not Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points