Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

can you open freehand files in CS6?

Nov 21, 2012 1:49 PM

can you open freehand files in CS6? I have been using both illustrator & freehand for 15 years & have thousands of work files being freehand.

It seems very disappointing to have to keep an old version of illustrator just to open these files. I also find it interesting that many of the key tools that freehand had over illustrator are not translated into the newer versions of illustrator. Something simple like you still can't have a unique picture bullet • before text in illustrator. In freehand you could cut & paste any graphic into the text you were designing.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to saturn234

Moved to the Illustrator forum. They will be able to help you here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2012 3:03 PM   in reply to saturn234

No!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to saturn234

saturn234 wrote:

can you open freehand files in CS6? I have been using both illustrator & freehand for 15 years & have thousands of work files being freehand.

No. The conversion plugin didn't make it into CS6 so the last import function was CS5.5 

It seems very disappointing to have to keep an old version of illustrator just to open these files.

At this point, it is the only way to make your files convert into Illustrator although I've had some luck with exporting to EPS or (if your FH graphics are simple enough) save as AI format. Keep your eyes on this project however : http://www.stagestack.com/

I also find it interesting that many of the key tools that freehand had over illustrator are not translated into the newer versions of illustrator. Something simple like you still can't have a unique picture bullet • before text in illustrator. In freehand you could cut & paste any graphic into the text you were designing.

As a fellow FreeHand user, I couldn't agree more. Other users of both programs have said this endlessly over the years here. A litany of features are still m.i.a. since FHMX was acquired years ago... including inline graphics. It's almost comical.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points