Skip navigation
Pixel_it
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Bridge freezing constantly

Nov 21, 2012 3:25 PM

Tags: #bridge #freezing

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and same thing. I have 30gb left on SSD (programs on) with 2 other HDDS. What to look at?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to Pixel_it

Moving this discussion to the Bridge General Discussion forum.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 21, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to Pixel_it

Could you start providing more details?

What system, version etc. What exact version of Bridge (about bridge) and what do you mean with 30 GB left on SSD? free space left? and how big is your SSD (for HDD the general rule is at least 10% procent free space, don't know if this also applies to SSD)

Where is your cache stored on and what are you trying to look at in Bridge that makes it freeze.

Does it freeze on start up or can you use it first before it starts given problems?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to Pixel_it

Do you have the temp on drive C?  If not this is a known crash problem.  You have little to spare on the SSD. 

Where is your cache?  Where is the photoshop scratch file?  If on an external are you using a SATAII or a USB3?  A USB may be too slow.

A re-install in most cases does nothing.  You are better off resetting the preferences if you want first aid.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to Pixel_it

After freezing does it recover with out having to end program?  CS6 Bridge for me seems to freeze when you are caching files, but OK after the spinning arrow stops.  Can also see a freeze sometimes for about 20 seconds if you click on icon after it has been mimimized.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 6:39 PM   in reply to Pixel_it

Do you have a check mark for "export cache to folders"?  If not then you just have the cache location specified on that page.

Did Bridge ever work before?  If so what have you changed?

Do you have page file on C drive?  You have 16 g of RAM so not sure how much you need.

Bridge is a processor intensive program and ram is less important.  Since you can not even make a change in a menu perhaps this is a problem.  In PS do you have at least 2 gigs allocated to the computer?

What are you trying to acomplish with a re-install?  It does not change the preference file and frequently that is where errors lie.  Hold down Ctrl key and start Bridge you will get a reset window with 3 options.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2012 6:41 PM   in reply to Pixel_it

If in one folder, the spinning wheel has stopped indicating cache is built, and you make some action within that folder, does it work correctly?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to Pixel_it

Run Bridge as an Administrator

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to Pixel_it

Do you have layered Tiffs?  If so there is a known problem that Bridge will continually recache them unless setting changed.

You have to get all the cache built, but once built it should be OK.  Do you have layered Tiffs?  If so there is a known problem that Bridge will continually recache them unless setting changed.

How many files do you have in a folder?  Not sure there is any magic number, but I try to keep it around 1000 jpeg.  Larger images I have fewer.

Embedded thumbnails are the smallest and so fastest to build.  If you have the sliders set low and you exceed the allotted number it will erase the oldest files.

ONce you get your folders set the easy way to index everything is start at at the first folder and do a search with "include all non-indexed files".  This may take awhile so set going when you are not going to be using computer for awhile.

** You said you have cache drive on 2 internals.  I hope that is a misprint as not sure how it can be split up.  The scratch drive should also have about 10-20% free space and on one drive. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to Pixel_it

When in BRidge press Crtl F to bring up the search box.  But if you have a folder fully indexed and it still freezes then this is not the problem.

One thing I am concerned with is your installation.  Looks like you changed C drive.  What did you do with the programs?  Just copy them over?  If you have files misplaced it could cause problems.  You might consider uninstalling, running the Adobe Script cleaner and reinstalling.  The script cleaner gets rid of pieces missed by the uninstaller.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Pixel_it

You can google that error and will find a number of hits.  Unforturnately there are many  different interpretations.

If reading this thread correctly your problems all emerged with the installation of the SSD drive.  If so somehow the installation is faulty.

Can you bring up the Event Log (see OS Help).  There look for errors.  On the left side expand applications and see if you can find errors in Bridge.  What you want is Faullting Module.  That is where the problem lies.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 3:15 AM   in reply to Curt Y

i had the same problem, bridge cs6 x64 was freezing constantly, now i'm now runing my cs6 bridge (5.0.2.4 x64) on my win8 in Vista SP2 compatibility mode and works fine

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points