Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Marlett in Illustrator

Nov 21, 2012 11:45 PM

When I have text selected, I can scroll up and down the font-list to change the font, but when I get to Marlett, it just goes a bit weird. If I start on Meta, Marlett is the next one up, and when I scroll up it just stays at Meta.

I've heard of other people with this problem, but I have not heard of a solution. How do I get it to choose Marlett, scroll past Marlett, or even just not include Marlett in the list at all?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to Flannel Jesus

It's a bad or poorly encoded font.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to Flannel Jesus

A touch control mouse seems to overcome the issue

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to Flannel Jesus

Even fonts which ship with the OS can become corrupt.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 11:29 PM   in reply to Flannel Jesus

Could it be the bug(?), where you need to deselct 'Enable Missing Glyph Protection'.

Go to Preferences > Type and un-tick the Enable Missing Glyph Protection.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 3:33 AM   in reply to Flannel Jesus

Marlett came with Windows 7? Surely you are joking? It's the font that was used for windows corners and close boxes in Windows 95.

It's a terribly constructed font, full of weird characters on strange places (and so Mike could well be right that Illustrator automatically tries to find a suitable replacement font). In fact, it's so extremely unusable by anything else than Windows 95 that the system in a clean installation would hide the file and font name from regular applications.

If you are using Windows 7 (and not '95 or a close derivative), try removing the font from your system. In my (clean) installation, it's not present in the Fonts folder, nor in my registry (at important places), and it doesn't show up in any software as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

In my (clean) installation, it's not present in the Fonts folder, nor in my registry (at important places), and it doesn't show up in any software as well.

Hmm, it is different here. Using Windows7 Professional with CS5. The image is a copy of the fonts folder  I've made after clean install of Windows 7. I found Marlett there but I have put a description in the name of the copied folder that tells 72 fonts were visible in the Fonts folder even thought I have set Windows to show hidden files.  But after I've made the copy of it, a number of hidden fonts (with the dimmed icons) showed making the total of 196 fonts. Marlett was one of the hidden files. And it does show currently on the font menu in Illustrator. I can't remove it from the menu with a font manager and I can't delete it form the Font folder because it doesn't show there. However I don't have the OP's problem, when navigating the font menus with the arrow keys - I can select the next font without a problem. My problem with this and may other system fonts is that they clutter the fonts menu in Illustrator and there is no way to remove them. That's why I made several times wishes here that it would be great if Illustrator has some Font menu organization features that allow only selected groups of fonts to show.

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to Flannel Jesus

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/134861

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/microsoft/marlett/

I wouldn't delete the font. It could be corrupted as suggested.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to MW Design

Those instructions are for Windows 95 but basically they say to reinstall the system which is also the only way in Windows 7.

Not sure how reputable it is but this link has some information about the role of Marlett in Windows 7
    http://www.prepressure.com/fonts/basics/windows-7-font-handling

a quote from it

Fonts that should never be deleted in Windows 7

I have not yet found a list of the mandatory system fonts. At the very least the following fonts should not be deleted:

• Marlette – This is the font used for the minimize, maximize and close buttons on your window borders.
    • Arial (TrueType)
    • Times New Roman (TrueType)
    • Courier New (TrueType)
    • Any .FON files. These are fixed size fonts used for MS-DOS windows and some dialog boxes.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to Flannel Jesus

If I enable the Glyph protection I will have the same problem with this and many other fonts, it should be always off and is a bad idea that they decided to be on by default.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 11:28 PM   in reply to Flannel Jesus

Glad it's sorted, I'm pleased to have helped.

Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points