Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What to do with indd file that I can't open?

Nov 22, 2012 5:51 AM

Tags: #file #error #4 #code #corrupt

So I have a file made on Mac and ID CS4. The file is corrupt and I can't open it on the Mac. Tried to open it on PC with CS6, but the same problem appears. At one moment ID even give an Error code 4, but there is no explanation what do that error code mean. Can anyone help me figure out what to do?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2012 5:54 AM   in reply to mr_serge

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to mr_serge

Occasionally it works to open as a copy.

If you aren't able to recover it that way, and the cost to rebuild is high, you should consider the recovery service from Markzware. There is a fixed take-in fee, and then the recovery charged based on the size, complexity, and amount recovered from your file. Bad InDesign or Quark File Recovery Submission Form

David Dilling of Markzware offered a discount on on the recovery fee on a trial basis for forum users who provided a link to where they learned about the service here on the forum, but I don't know if that offer is still available.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to mr_serge

This is a good lesson: You need to make backups.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to mr_serge

Do you have a backup copy? Time Machine?

This is the sort of experience that will motivate you to buy an external hard drive and buy a backup program or use the one built into your OS. It's a lot less expensive to recover from a backup than to start over, especially if you have a hard drive crash. I back up using a drive imager. Data is backed up every night, and the OS and programs are backed up once a week. I can go from a balnk hard drive to a fully functioning system in about an hour and have everything just as it was when the image was made.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to mr_serge

How was it sent? Ask them to zip the file, then resend it.

It's also possible that the file was damaged by being copied before it was ready on the other system, particularly if they save to an external drive or network location.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points