Skip navigation
Fredkadet
Currently Being Moderated

Not understanding why i am getting white lines in PDF And JPG

Nov 22, 2012 4:55 AM

Tags: #indesign #jpg

Hi all,

First time poster here, many thanks for your help! I have been using the Adobe creative suite for a couple of years now and have recently started using Indesign more and more, loving it.

Recently I ran into a spot of trouble and can't figure it out. I made a document using text boxes, an image, a few placed EPS files on a dark grey background (rectangle with a fill). All colors used are process colors, the EPS files are in process aswell, done in Illustrator. Somehow my red (process 15 100 90 10) text and EPS lineart is getting a weird whitish outline when exporting to PDF and when exporting to JPG. I know about the white line bug/thing in PDF but didn't think this would show up in a JPG... Here are two screendumps of the PDF and the JPG:

PDF

http://postimage.org/image/tsu5i293r/

JPG

http://postimage.org/image/60tdmw275/

Anyone any ideas why Indesign is doing this, again, any help is much much appreciated.

Cheers,

Fred, running Indesign CS 5.5 7.1.3 and illustrator CS5 15.1.0

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to Fredkadet

Hi Fred,

Do those white lines appear when you view the documents (JPG and PDF) at 100%?

If not, I would not worry too much about it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 5:57 AM   in reply to Fredkadet

And you made sure that the object / text has no line and the color is set to "none" (diagonal red line)?

Can you put the PDF online and share the link with us?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to Fredkadet

Looks like antialiasing of some sort to me.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 8:54 PM   in reply to Fredkadet

Hello Fred,

I exported the vector stuff out of the PDF as EPS, opened it in AI, saved the logo as an AI file, copied and pasted the other vector stuff into ID from AI.

The PDF linked below is simply using the "Smallest" profile.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/Untitled-1.pdf

I would think that the problem is with the exportprofile and or any modifications to it.

For bitmap versions, and especially for red on black, I will open the PDF into a PS document and rasterize the PDF, then save from there to PNG or TIFF, depending upon the usage.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 10:20 PM   in reply to Fredkadet

Here is the PDF I created, exported as an EPS from Acrobat, loaded into AI and exported as a smaller PNG.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/Untitled-1.png

There is the "normal" antialiasing effect--blending from one color into another of roughly a pixel's width--but I would otherwise find this much of a scaled version acceptable.

Have you tried just exporting a PDF using the unmodified preset of say "Smallest"?

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 12:47 AM   in reply to Fredkadet

Hi Fred,

The suggestion for the Smallest profile was just because I had done that one as a test and so we could both be using the same profile.

But the profile doesn't really matter. Here is the PDFX-3 version with the image in the lower left added.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/sos_ad.pdf

The issue is an odd one. As for your PDF, it should export just fine. The only give a heck I can think of is that there is a modified/custom flattener being used in one of the profiles or the profiles themselves are corrupt.

BTW, I am also using CS5.5, and am on Windoze.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 2:01 AM   in reply to Fredkadet

@Fred – to tell exactly what's going on here, I think you have to make the original files available for download. Together with the PDF/X3 export settings file from your printers.

It's a strange case. That's for sure.

Apart from the mentioned problem of rendering:

@Mike – be aware that in your PDF the colors have changed to other values:

The red became 17 100 100 9 US Web Coated (SWOP) 2 CMYK

Original by Fred: 15 100 90 10 ISO Caoted v2 300% CMYK

The black became 71 65 65 72 US Web Coated (SWOP) 2 CMYK
    Original by Fred: 0 0 0 97 ISO Caoted v2 300% CMYK

@Fred – check for the "black" fill of the URL. The fill is slightly different from the background:
    98 k vs. 97 k.

Also check the gray fill of the bar graphs: that's a full color gray with 55 46 44 49 CMYK opposed to the gray text on the graph, which is a simple 0 0 0 76 CMYK.

Uwe

Message was edited by: Laubender

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points