Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Every time I open up these files they want to "save" again

Nov 22, 2012 5:50 AM

Friends,

For some reason, every time I open up a certain set of files that a friend sent me, it wants me to save them.

IN OTHER WORDS, simply opening the files tricks INDD CS5.5 into thinking I have modified them, but I have not modified them in any way.

Is this something I should be worried about?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to Ceencha

Probably not. If they were created in an earlier version this would be absolutely normal. ID opens legacy files as a copy with (converted) appended to the file name and asks your to save when you close. Once saved from the new version you will only be asked to save again if there is a change. In my opinion it is best to save these legacy files with a new name rather than overwrite the earlier version. Once overwritten you can't go back.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to Ceencha

Do the images show as missing in the links panel before you relink? That would certainly make a difference.

"Packaging" is the old method for transfering your files for output and is still the way to send everything to a collablorator. When you package ID makes folder containing a copy of the .indd file and subfolders withthe links and fonts that were used, then updates the links in the copy to point to the new folder.

If links are missing or modified it might trigger a request to save if they are then updated, but otherwise it seems very odd that you would be asked to save if all you do is open the file once it has been saved in your current version. You say they were created in the same version you are using, but that may not really be the case. On the Mac all ID files have the same icon, regardless of version, and sometimes a program update will cause ID to request a save on files that were created in the earlier patch level.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to Ceencha

I think that error implies a lot of pasted vector content (quite possibly the complex frames around the images). Are all of those images really linked?

I'm not sure waht's going on with the saving. Have you rebooted the computer lately? That would be my first trobleshooting step. Then next would be trashing the prefs: Replace Your Preferences

I can look at the file if you like. I'll send you an upload link in a private message...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to Ceencha

I'll be taking a look ain a short while...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

OK,

I've done a lot of work to show you how to make this go smoother, I think. The file you sent has a LOT of loose vector art, probably pasted from Illustrator becasue making it in ID would be pretty much impossible: the picture frames and the little bullets. This would account for the error message you got about placing as embedded eps. I copied those elements to Illustrator and saved them as .ai files that can be linked.

On the master page I added some layers, one for the picture frames and one for text, and placed the picture frames on the master (this alyer is above the layer for the photos), then removed the frames from the document pages and moved the text (and initial caps) to the text layer which is above the frames. Finally, I removed the bullets that were placed loose above the strings of non-breaking spaces and placed them inline in place of most of the spaces.

I'll be sending you the sample file and new links shortly.

As far as the request to save, I saw that when I opted to update links on open, but not otherwise. Do you store this stuff on a server? Do you get a message about updating links when you open (you might not if you checked the don't show again box). It could indicate a time synchronization problem between your workstaion and the server. The two large photos were missing, as was one font, but I don't believe that has a bearing.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

And your InDesign is out of date. The last patch for CS5.5 is 7.5.3 and there are significant bug fixes. That might also account for some of your issues...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 2:29 AM   in reply to Ceencha

CS5.5 is version 7.5 (numbering is pretty confusing), and the last patch was 7.5.3.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points