Skip navigation
ACJ81
Currently Being Moderated

ALT - New Layer

Nov 22, 2012 7:03 AM

When creating a new layer and holding ALT I do not get the dialog box to appear the new layer is just created.  I've tried to reset my preference twice and this has not help.  Any ideas?

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Nov 22, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to ACJ81

Which OS which PS etc. Also Alt+Ctrl+Shift+N is add new layer without dialog. What are you using in addition to ALT for ALT by itself should do nothing. Where ALT plus clicking on and new layer icon in the layers palette should pop-up the add new layer dialog.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Nov 22, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to ACJ81

Try using Ctrl+Shift+N or Alt + clicking on the new layer icon in the layers palette for when you upgrade to CS6 you will not have a new layer icon in the adjustment panel. I don'tee see that icon in my CS5 adjustment panel either. What do you mean by Adjustment palette?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2012 8:25 PM   in reply to ACJ81

That doesn't work anymore in photoshop cs6.

(it would be nice if it was fixed)

Two other ways to get the dialog would be from the flyout menu on the adjustments panel (don't have to hold any modifier keys down)

or hold the alt key down while selecting the adjustment layer from the bottom of the layers panel.

adjla.png

adjlb.png

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Nov 22, 2012 9:53 PM   in reply to R_Kelly

I see you using ALT so you on a PC. On my Window 7 PC both the 32 bit and 64 bit Photoshop CS6 pop-up the new layer dialog when the alt key is held down and the Adjustment Panel Fly-out menu or the layer Palette adjustment icon menu is used the add any adjustment layer type. I have change some Preferences from adobe defaults.  I edit in floating windows but I tried both Tabbed and float and still get the new layer pop-up dialog when the ALT key is used.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points