Skip navigation
Top_Speeder
Currently Being Moderated

Adjusting margins in Reader

Nov 22, 2012 11:24 AM

Tags: #reader_edit #reader_margins #reader_print

Hello all, and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I'm trying to print a PDF of a document which original I don't have.  The document already has a significant margin, and Reader is adding 25 Milimeters.

If I were to print it straight, I would select "Scale to printing area" from "Page scale", at the print menu.  The thing is I have to print it at two pages per sheet, and cannot select both because there's no "Print multiple pages AND scale to printing area", it's one or the other.  So what I want is to reduce the margin Reader adds to the document.

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-3393437-53827/371-416/Adobe_margin.png

The problem is I cannot get the margin size to be editable, the boxes are greyed out.
So, I have two questions:

1st-  How can I edit these values?  Are they set in some .INI file?  Which one, and where can I find it?  Are they set in the registry?  Where?

2nd-  Why are these values shown if you can't edit them?  What's the point?  How can be possible that a company as important as Adobe can make such a mistake in a soft as important as Reader?  Why would they do that?  I just can't believe it.

Thank you all!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to Top_Speeder

You can't change these values because they are irrelevant - they are not used for anything at all.

They are shown because this is a standard part of Windows, provided by Microsoft for all apps to use.

PDF files don't have a margin in the way a Word document does. They are more like a JPEG. There might be some white space at the edge of a page, where no words or pictures are. You see this as a margin. Adobe Reader doesn't see it as anything special at all. You can't adjust this white space (except, in Acrobat, by cropping it smaller - making the page smaller rather than the margin).

(I know that doesn't solve the rest of it).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 12:37 AM   in reply to Top_Speeder

"I believe they're. "

Your mileage may vary, and you're using different options than me. My experience is that the "margins" that seem to be added by Acrobat result from fitting to page in the imagable area of the printer. This can be centred or not, and its size varies with the printer (and printer setup).

" you know that when you create a form (like the one in the picture I took from this forum) it's you who decide which controls to include, not Microsoft"

I guess you aren't familiar with Windows standard dialogs.

PAGESETUPDLG psd ;

BOOL psok ;

memset ( &psd , 0 , sizeof(psd) ) ;

psd.lStructSize = sizeof(psd) ;

psd.Flags = PSD_DISABLEMARGINS | PSD_NONETWORKBUTTON | PSD_DISABLEPRINTER ;

psok = PageSetupDlg ( &psd ) ;

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/ms646937(v=vs. 85).aspx

"Even if greyed out, those values are not there just because.  They're set somewhere... in an INI file, in the Registry... I don't know... somewhere.  Windows doesn't make them up,"

Not my view of the world. Same page: "If PSD_MARGINS is not set, the system sets the initial widths to one inch for all margins."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points