Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to lock an artboard in Illustrator? I'll explain...

Nov 22, 2012 9:50 AM

I have a big artboard with a simulation of a webpage, and a smaller artboard within it, where I'm designing the artwork, so that I know how the big picture will look. In the end, I intend to export the contents of the small artboard. The problem is that whenever I click by accident on the small artboard, my view of the web page gets off-centre.
So in short, If I could just lock the small artboard, that would solve this annoyance. For now, I have two options: either delete the artboard and set it back in the end (it's got to be perfeclty positioned though) or, quite practically, just create a custom view with a shortcut that I  can use instead of the "Actual size" one (Cmd+1).

But, being a stickler for maximum efficiency, I'd like to know if that's possible.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to Tiago Moita

you can't lock an artboard, a third option would be to create the big artboard, and a rectangle the size of the small artboard, then you can lock the rectangle and when you're done, convert it to an artboard.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to Tiago Moita

As is already stated the answer is no but I think this might be a very usefulle feature.

If you put in feature request with argument you describe in your first poost I think it might get noticed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to Tiago Moita
    The problem is that whenever I click by accident on the small artboard, my view of the web page gets off-centre.

View > Fit Artboard in Window (Ctrl+0) and Actual Size (Ctrl+1) use the active Artboard, Before using these views commands, just click on the desired artboard to make it active. Or use the Artboard panel and double click the desired artboard there to fit it in View

the active artboard has slightly darker outlines. You can also use the Show menu at the bottom left of the document's window to display the name of the currently active artboard.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to Tiago Moita

For the kind of work you are doing, I use Window > New Window. This gives you two windows for the same document where you can have different views. Ctrl+Tab will switch the windows and thus the views. And if you have a big monitor you can have the windows floating side by side so you can work on the detailed view while also referring to the whole picture in the other view.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to Tiago Moita

how about the other way around? start with your small artboard (so you can constantly export it, and a locked big rectangle which you'll turn into an artboard when you're done.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to Tiago Moita

That's not exactly it... I don't need to switch views.

Then I don't understand where the problem is?

The problem is that whenever I click by accident on the small artboard, my view of the web page gets off-centre.

just clicking on a artboard should not change your view in any way. Are you saying that your view changes just by clicking on a artboard?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 1:03 PM   in reply to Tiago Moita

@emil emil,  - the artboards are not centered in relation to each other. The small one is almost aligned to the top of the big one. That's why when i click on the small one, my view gets shifted upwards.

There should be something very wrong with your Illustrator if your view gets shifted just by clicking on a artboard regardless where it is position in relation to other artboards. This is not what is supposed to happen.

Or the custom view solution, if I give it a handy shortcut.

I don't think you can assign a shortcut to custom views and that's why I suggested different windows of the same document because you can use Ctrl+Tab to navigate through the open windows while the custom views have to be selected with the mouse from the menu. And I still don't understand how screenshots and custom views will help if as you said you don't switch views. In anyway, if you are going to use custom views for what ever reason, if you are on a pc you can use the system's menu navigation as alternative to a shortcut. For a custom view that would be the following keys in sequence:

Alt, V, up arrow, Enter

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to Tiago Moita

Sorry, I was wrong about the view's shortcuts, they are available on the pc too, I see that it is possible to assign shortcuts for up to 10 views. I won't be taking advantage of this though as I still find the alternatives much better and on top of that Illustrator's shortcuts real estate is very small with the limited modifier keys and most combinations are already occupied with important essentials.

Regarding (Cmd+1), its purpose  is to show you the "Actual Size" or in other words the rulers in Illustrator should match the units of a real life ruler. This command was created long time ago in the last century when at one point in time all monitors had a fixed resolution of 72 monitor pixels = 1 inch and this worked fine at that time. Now however monitors have all kind of resolutions and it is very unlikely that your monitor's resolution is 72ppi. You can easily check that by comparing the Illustrator rulers to real life rulers when you choose View > Actual Size (Cmd+1). So, I consider this feature as useless for that purpose and  apparently you are using it as a way to zoom in or out. Then if you instead use (Cmd +)  or (Cmd-) (plus and minus keys on your keyboard) to zoom in or out, the view will stay at the current center at different zoom levels. For example if you press (Cmd +) three times and when you want to go back (Cmd -) three times you will end up exactly with the same view as before zooming and you view will not be shifting its center.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to Tiago Moita

Well, I really have difficulty imagining what the problem is. Initially I though that the problem is your view shifts and now as I mis/understand it is that this is what you want and you will pan it manually if it doesn't shift.

I tried my best to understand and help but I guess it is beyond my abilities to understand the problem. Sorry I couldn't be of any help. Hopefully it is only a minor annoyance.

Wishing you all the best.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to Tiago Moita

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers