Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I make a paint brush similar to MS Paint's?

Nov 22, 2012 10:20 AM

The closer I got to the same look was to create a brush with the size of 1 pixel and 500% spacing, but it's still a bit slow to get even a small area looking like it's been sprayed. Plus, in the end my pattern looks too regular, not very natural. Here is part of the image whose look I'm trying to recreate (400% and 100%).

Texture Sample - 400%.pngTexture Sample - 100%.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to Tiago Moita

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to Tiago Moita

Well, I don't see anything special in this. Just any random dots brush profile will do. Here's a couple of minutes try with one of many similar brushes I have. Any brush profile similar to the one shown in the bottom right corner will do. Unless you see something very special in your reference image that I can't.

Untitled-2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to Tiago Moita

The original has finer detail, less anti-alias and is irregularly more scattered.

All of these can be fine tuned with the available controls to any precision you like.

For finer details change the size of the brush, Alt/Option + dragging with the brush is an easy way to change the brush size.

You can pick the Pencil tool with the same brush profile and there will be no anti-aliasing. The Pencil tool should have been with the name 'Aliased Brush' because this is what it is.

Instead of relying entirely on the Scatter control to give you a right density you will make much better transition if you repeat brushing over an area and control it manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 7:18 PM   in reply to Tiago Moita

- the brush size can make the pattern blurrier if the size if the brush is larger than the size of the image used for defining the brush.

- sorry, I forgot to mention that Alt/Option + right click dragging resizes the brush on the fly. I'm using a digital pen and I press its buttons by instinct without realizing it. I had to do it slowly and watch my fingers to find out

Try using the attached image for your brush profile and see if it is better. Open the image in Photoshop select all and choose Edit > Define Brush Preset.

Open the Brush panel, select Shape Dynamics property, and set its Angle Jitter to 100%. leave all other sliders to 0% and all controls to Off.

When I zoom in the reference image I see that some of the spots vary in lighter shades. To get that, select the Transfer property and try its Flow Jitter, leave all other sliders and controls to 0% and Off.

Leave all other brush properties unchecked.

Depending on the resolution of your image you may try the above with different sizes of the brush profile image. If you resize the image larger and it gets blurry use the Levels adjustment on the image to reduce the blur.

brush_Image.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to Tiago Moita

Maybe the Spatter filter will help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status