Skip navigation
pinkangel15th
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator: Pixelisation when making my Logo Image Smaller

Nov 22, 2012 10:16 AM

Tags: #and #illustrator #cs3 #save #web #size #for #pixelated #devices #pixilates

Hi There,

I am a hardcore Photoshop nut lol but I have recently approached learning how to use 'AI' to create my company Logo so that It can be Vector based and therefore Re-size it according to web and print as needed.

You've proberly encountered this problem lots of times and i'm proberly being really silly, but I am having major problems re-sizing and it, causing pixelization on my Image, esp when going to 'Save for web and Devices'.

I did have 'drop down shadow effects' on the Logo but I believe I have deleted all of that in Appearences, Incase it is the raster effects causing the problems... but even back at its seamingly basics, I'm still having the same problems.

I tried making the Image smaller using the 'scale' & 'transform' tool before taking it into 'Save for Web and Devices' and even on my artboard it now looks pixelated..

My Artboard size is 1200 x 1200 and in 'Save for Web and Devices' it says the Original Image size is 800 x 600 (which I believe is the size of the document I chose when starting my project)...

I tried Playing with the PPI in the 'Document Raster Effects' settings, this doesn't seem to be making a difference.. Infact I'm sure playing with all the settings has almost caused my edges already to not be as sharp in view: 100% (RGB/Overprint preview) as they once were and I don't think I have the original document to go back too, due to thinking the Logo was fine, before relizing I had a problem in resizing & saving.

I have tried all of the save options in 'Save for Web and Devices' but still the Image looks pixelised, even when ignoring previewer and going ahead to re-opening the saved Image.

I'm using Adobe Illustrator CS3 if that's any help..

Any help anyone can give me, Id be very greatfull, I've spent hours trawling the web tirelessly without any result and after being so happy with the Logo, it would be such a shame to have to delete it and try and start all over again either in Illustrater or back in Photoshop (where I know the quality won't be as good)..

A massive Thanks to anyone who can help with this..

Pink

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 22, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to pinkangel15th

OK. You want a vector format for the logo? How are you going to be using it? In InDesign, Word, or ?

For ID, save it as an AI file. For some other applications, save a version as a PDF. For Word, an Enhance Metafile or as a PNG.

Do note that as with Photoshop, your image size needs to be the size of your exported purpose when saving as a bitmap type (PNG, TIF, JG, etc.).

Without knowing how you are using it, it is difficult to advise you.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to pinkangel15th

Pink,

It would help helpers help you to see a screenshot or an image, o at least have a description of the actual artwork including any effects.

Just because you create something with Illy, it may not be (entirely) vector.

In any case, there is no need to scale before you Save for Web & Devices: you can set the size in pixels by pixels (just change either for propotional scaling) in the Image Size window, and you can tick Anti-Alias here (Art Optimized in later versions).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to pinkangel15th

I think I understand the probllem. In the Save for the Web in the image tabe choose art optime from the optimize option.

Or!

Bring the file into PS as a smart object scale the smart objectt at will an Save for the Web fromm PS

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 1:33 PM   in reply to pinkangel15th

Pink,

I believe the description is sufficient.

It is quite important, however, to know whether the images are actually vector artwork. You may see that if you select each and see what it says in the Layers palette, or in the Document Infor palette (with Objects ticked in the flyout).

64x64 is very small. What is it like at a much larger size?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to pinkangel15th

Pink,

These two lines,

Linked Images: NONE

Embedded Images: NONE

show that none of the selected objects are raster images, and these two lines,

Paths: 5 (0 open, 5 closed, 28 points, length = 514.658 px)

Compound Paths: 2

show that you have  anumber of vector objects.

You may consider a simplified version for the smallest size(s) of images, or live with certain effects of squeezing to much into too little space.

All in all, it sounds as if you are (more or less) there.

If you  link to it/them when you have applied it/them, we may have an actual look and possibly say more.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to pinkangel15th

Pink,

There is something strange about at least one leaf (third row from the bottom, fourth leaf in): what appears to be the Anchor Point at the centre of the curve to the right is actually two Anchor Points, so the path is not closed (you can see it in the Document Infor palette which will tell you that it has 5 Anchor Points instead of 4. You may drag over it with the Direct Selection Tool and Ctrl/Cmd+J to join, tick Smooth. That may heal the path so it behaves.

You may use the Direct Selection Tool to drag Anchor Points and their Handles about to change shapes (as well as use other tools and effects such as the Effect>Warp ones). Mesh  is more for intricate colour changes.

The other leaves may be broken in similar ways; downloadable pieces of artwork may be less than complete, whether free or paid.

It is possible that incomplete (non closed) paths may be (at least part of) the cause of the issue.

In any case, it is worth mending any paths that need mending (those with too many Anchor Points), then start from the basic paths again. One way to identify an end Anchor Point on a curved path is to click the Anchor Points one by one until you find the one with only one handle, which will cover the opposite end Anchor Point.

If anyone wonders, there is aways more than meets the eye.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to pinkangel15th

Jo,

What does the Document Info palette say there is (ignoring all the NONEs) about the leaf?

And did you use the Direct Selection to drag over the left Anchor Point?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to pinkangel15th

Jo,

When you look at the first line, as this one:

Paths: 5 (0 open, 5 closed, 28 points, length = 514.658 px)

it says how many (Anchor) points the selceted path(s) have.

If you choose the leaf in question it says 5, because the path is open at the rightmost Anchor Point(s).

And you should use the Direct Selection Tool (white arrow) to drag over the points to join into one.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to pinkangel15th

Jo,

Corresponding to my posts #11, 13, and 15, here is a screenshot of what I see when I create two copies the said leaf (to the left) and then click on the leftmost and rightmost Anchor Point respectively. As you can see, the Document Info says 10 points (2 times 5 because both leaf copies are selected) where it should only say 8 (2 times 4), and the leftmost Anchor Point has two handles while the rightmost one only has one because it is an end point, right on top of the opposite end point, so that the path is open where it should be closed. It can be closed by just dragging over the rightmost Anchor Points (the one on top and the one beneath), then using Ctrl/Cmd+J to join them, and after that the single Anchor Point should have both handles when you click on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to pinkangel15th

Jo,

The leaves you have shown are closed paths; the first line in the Document Info palette says so, so that is different from the one I showed (4th from the left in the 3rd row from the bottom).

However, the Document Info also says that there are 3 Compound Paths. The one to the left is obviously one, consisting of an outer and an inner path (the latter forming a whole like a counter in a letter).

This means that the two leaves to the left form the other two Compound Paths, each consisting of just one path which is an unnecessary mess that may influence things (you should be able to see it in the Layers palette). You should select them and Object>Compound Path>Release so you can work with them as normal paths (you should be able to see the change in the Layers palette).

There may be a similar cleanup of the other vectore images.

I hope we shall hear your findings when you retry, and ponder on the next step.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points