Skip navigation
mitman
Currently Being Moderated

OS X 10.8 saving opened/edited Illustrator CS5.5 & CS6 file rewrites file permissions

Dec 5, 2012 8:55 PM

Tags: #file #illustrator #cs5 #cs5.5 #windows #saving #issues #cs6 #corrupt #permission #10.8

Anyone else have similar issues to this:

• Open an .AI file saved on a netapp or windows shared directory with full permissions (prior to saving I noted that all security groups are intact in file properties as we have 2 for read and write access)
  • Make any changes
  • Try to save and get the prompt:  Can’t save preview, but all other information was saved successfully. The file couldn’t be found. ID = -43  (file is now corrupted and looking in security group file properties the 2 security groups designated for read and write access for the directory is now gone and shows an unknown security group????)
    • Save as works without a problem
    • Try to press save again and get This file has been modified outside Illustrator. Do you want to continue?
    • Continue and prompted This file cannot be found
  • Obviously the file preview icon goes from a thumbnail of the file to a generic icon
  • When I try to open the file I get: Can’t open the illustration. The file is locked or in use.
  • It led me to believe the issue was either OS X or CS5.5. I was able to open the file fine on Windows Illustrator CS5.5 make a slight change and resaved (which fixed the file and opens again in OS X and read/write security groups show up again????)
  • Optionally, I was also able to fix the file to where I could open it in OS X by simply giving myself Read/Write access to the file from Get Info

Notes:

No issues with the same file in 10.7.x

I've tested on all available Mac Pro / MacBook Pro machines and issue doesn't seem to happen on MacBook Pro retina?!?! Weird.

Photoshop and InDesign not affected

Is this a bug and anyone else having similar issues? Would appreciate any ideas if you've had anything related to this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2013 11:01 PM   in reply to mitman

Yes I get that ever since transferring my work files form an external firewire disc, over to a Nas drive. Now every time I try and save illustrator files I get that warning,

The device is a DNS-320 D-link nas

I also get various weird photoshop errors when trying to save that actually cause the file itself to disappear off the drive. What the heck is happening? any solutions.

I'm on Mac  Imac 10.6.8, and Imac 10.8.3 and Macbook Pro 10.6.8

cheers

-Joel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points