Skip navigation
StudioAnjou
Currently Being Moderated

Help with linked files/ compound paths please

Nov 23, 2012 1:55 AM

Hi - I am working with an illustrator file from another designer which has a compound path with linked files - when you link a new file the image is automatically resized and clipped to the path.  I am able to edit it but i want to make my own from scratch and can't figure it out. I'm working with Illustrator CS6. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 4:10 AM   in reply to StudioAnjou

What do you mean by "compound path with linked files"?

Is the compound path a clipping mask?

Are you replacing a linked image with another linked image?

If you are replacing a linked image with a new one, the new image will automatically scale to the same % as the one that was there before.

In your case it sounds as if it would be better to delete the old image, place the new one, put it behind the masking object and make a new clipping mask.

Your question was a bit vague though, so I may have misunderstood you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to StudioAnjou

I normally do it this way:

Place your image, draw a shape (rectangle or whatever), select both and Object > Clipping Mask > Make.

If you only want a rectangle, place your image and immediately Object > Clipping Mask > Make. This produces a rectangle the same size as the placed image.

After that you just use the Direct Selection tool to select either image or mask and then hit S to get the Scale tool.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points