Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Error: the object is not currently contained in a document

Nov 23, 2012 2:32 AM

Tags: #error #cs6 #translate

When I do a save or switch to other pages, I get the following error:

"Translate error: Error: the object is not currently contained in a document"

The web page I have open then doesn't render correctly in the window - although it looks fine in a browser. I already tried deleting the cache file and even the entire personal configuration file. How do I fix this? I am using Dreamweaver CS6, by the way.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 4:18 AM   in reply to Ken R.

The problem is to be found within the code.

For instance, are you using jQuery and have you linked to two different jQuery libraries?

To ensure that we do not have to ask all sorts of questions that are not applicable to your situation, please supply a link to your site.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to Ken R.

Ken R. wrote:

A page that is showing the error in Dreamweaver but shows up OK in a browser is found here:

http://incredibleart.org/lessons/elem/medium.html

Might show up in a browser but the code still needs to be validated. The code on that page is not valid.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fincredibleart.org%2Fles sons%2Felem%2Fmedium.html

e.g. The closing </head> tag on line 44 should come after line 62 so it contains the script block apparently drawn from http://www.daniweb.com/web-development/javascript-dhtml-ajax/threads/2 77601/printing-values-entered-to-a-edit-form

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to Ken R.

I now see where you are coming from.

It should be noted that Design view in DW is one of its weakest assets. Having been created by Macromedia in a previous century, it has never been upgraded by Adobe.

I only use Design view if I want to find and single out an element.

Adobe suggests to use Live view if you want a reasonable representation of what the page will look like in a browser. Even then you should use caution, because some browsers, especially older versions of IE, will render the page diferently.

My approach is to completely ignore any rendering done by DW. I use DW exclusively in code view and have my browsers sitting in a second monitor to test at each step. Initially this takes slightly longer; in the long run I save time because I do not have any errors

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2012 3:16 AM   in reply to Ken R.

I've had a look at your medium.html page in a couple of browsers, as well as in the W3C validator.

I suspect Dreamweaver is having a problem with the external JavaScript that's loaded on line 20. It's coming from a remote server, and is likely to take some time to load. There also seems to be a problem with the "Begin Widget Config" comment on line 21.

I noticed that Source Code in both Firefox and Chrome display the Begin and End comments in a different colour from other HTML comments. Also the W3C validator complains about the opening angle bracket of the comment on line 21. When I copied the code into Dreamweaver and removed the template markup, I noticed that Dreamweaver also failed to display the comments in grey. But when I deleted the HTML comment tags and reapplied them, they turned grey.

It sounds like a long shot, but it looks as though there is something unusual about the characters in the comments on lines 21 and 42. Open the main template, delete those comments, and add them again (or leave them out - they're not necessary).

If editing the comments doesn't fix the problem, I suggest that you try deselecting the option to display external files (View > Display External Files toggles the option on and off). Alternatively, comment out the reference to the script on searchschoolsnetwork.com while you're working with the files locally.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points