When I do a save or switch to other pages, I get the following error:
"Translate error: Error: the object is not currently contained in a document"
The web page I have open then doesn't render correctly in the window - although it looks fine in a browser. I already tried deleting the cache file and even the entire personal configuration file. How do I fix this? I am using Dreamweaver CS6, by the way.
The problem is to be found within the code.
For instance, are you using jQuery and have you linked to two different jQuery libraries?
To ensure that we do not have to ask all sorts of questions that are not applicable to your situation, please supply a link to your site.
http://www.incredibleart.org (The index page renders correctly, however)
I am in the process of redesigning the website so you may find different designs within the site. A page that is showing the error in Dreamweaver but shows up OK in a browser is found here:
Ken R. wrote:
A page that is showing the error in Dreamweaver but shows up OK in a browser is found here:
Might show up in a browser but the code still needs to be validated. The code on that page is not valid.
I don't know what to do about most these errors because the code is required by Facebook, the company I advertise with, and the Dreamweaver extension called Flexi-CSS Layouts. If you have any ideas how to mess with code that companies provided to validate the page and still make them work, I'm open to suggestions. I did move the java you mentioned before the </head>.
-This can't be it anyway because I have used that same code on the old version of my website with no problems.
There is something that could be a problem. I failed to mention it earlier. Dreamweaver has this in yellow as if it's an error: "PageLayout7_body_design" on all the pages. Flexi-CSS says it must be first mentioned as such:
This use does not validate but the Flexi-CSS says it must be added this way. Could it be problems with the CSS itself for that class/ID?
If it helps, here is what the error looks like in Dreamweaver. Note that the white space should be all the way down the page to the footer:
The error does not come up with all the new pages. Here you see it renders correctly and doesn't return the "Translate error: Error: the object is not currently contained in a document" error:
The page this error-free page appears is on http://incredibleart.org/lessons/elem/grade_level.html
I now see where you are coming from.
It should be noted that Design view in DW is one of its weakest assets. Having been created by Macromedia in a previous century, it has never been upgraded by Adobe.
I only use Design view if I want to find and single out an element.
Adobe suggests to use Live view if you want a reasonable representation of what the page will look like in a browser. Even then you should use caution, because some browsers, especially older versions of IE, will render the page diferently.
My approach is to completely ignore any rendering done by DW. I use DW exclusively in code view and have my browsers sitting in a second monitor to test at each step. Initially this takes slightly longer; in the long run I save time because I do not have any errors
I still would like to know why I am suddenly getting this warning. I've used Dreamweaver for over 7 years and this is the first time I've encountered this warning. It is coming up frequently. I am rather new at CSS and have only recently been implementing it, so I am guessing it is a problem on that end. Does anyone know what kind of problem would give this type of warning? This might help me zero in on the problem.
I should have included a visual of the warning window. When this comes up I have to click on it 2 or 3 times before it goes away and the design or live view appears.
I've had a look at your medium.html page in a couple of browsers, as well as in the W3C validator.
I noticed that Source Code in both Firefox and Chrome display the Begin and End comments in a different colour from other HTML comments. Also the W3C validator complains about the opening angle bracket of the comment on line 21. When I copied the code into Dreamweaver and removed the template markup, I noticed that Dreamweaver also failed to display the comments in grey. But when I deleted the HTML comment tags and reapplied them, they turned grey.
It sounds like a long shot, but it looks as though there is something unusual about the characters in the comments on lines 21 and 42. Open the main template, delete those comments, and add them again (or leave them out - they're not necessary).
If editing the comments doesn't fix the problem, I suggest that you try deselecting the option to display external files (View > Display External Files toggles the option on and off). Alternatively, comment out the reference to the script on searchschoolsnetwork.com while you're working with the files locally.