Skip navigation
dasa43
Currently Being Moderated

dvd output fps & quality with 1080 60p footage premier elements 11

Nov 23, 2012 6:03 AM

first time doing digital video editing so bare with me please

trying to make a dozen pal dvd for other people but playback on our panasonic dvd player in the first trial run seems to have a slight jitter most noticeable in fine text in the tif image which looks to be moving up and down slightly although its not visible when i play it on the pc with vlc or if the dvd is paused

vlc reports the dvd as being 720x576 50fps using premier elements pal_widscreen_dolby_dvd setting

used a panasonic hs900 to take the footage and merged it with tif extracted from a office powerpoint presentation and jpeg photos total video length is ~2:50

after first editing all the clips in batches i saved them as mp4 1920x1080 59.94fps to try keep it as close to the original quality as possible so that i could later bring the batches together and output them to dvd and blu-ray

with that length on a dual layer dvd the quality is at ~6.3mbps im just wondering how noticeable the difference is between that and higher or lower levels and if there is any advanced settings to improve quality with longer render times

its probably acceptable as is but if it can be improved i would like to learn how and do it right

thanks

also i wish adobe would allow larger interface sizes in premier elements as its dam hard to see without your nose against the screen on high dpi 2560x1440 27" displays

even there online guides are the only ones i have ever seen where ctrl + doesnt increase the text size

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to dasa43

The first thing that I look into with DVD playback problems on a set-top player are the brand of blank media used. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3051722#3051722

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to dasa43

DVDs are standard resolution. So it's impossible to create a DVD that's high-resolution, computer monitor resolution or any resolution higher than 720x576. It's important to understand that going in. Any hi-def footage you put on a DVD will be down-rezzed to standard resolution.

As a video editor, Premiere Elements can produce standard 720x576 video and hi-def/BluRay 1920x1080. You can not produce video at 2560x1440.

Second, it's important to understand that Powerpoints generally produce pretty low quality images. So any slides you output from PowerPoint are going to look degraded in Premiere Elements. In fact, the text often looks blurry and difficult to read. That's a PowerPoint issue, not a Premiere Elements issue.

All that said, you're using AVCHD footage from your Panasonic camcorder. Assuming that this footage is the first clip you've added to your timeline, version 11 should set up your project specs automatically. But just to make sure, go to Edit/Project Settings and see what settings your project is using.

If your project is using the proper resolution, the DVD you output should look terrific when played on a TV.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 7:44 AM   in reply to dasa43

Another thing to think about is the DVD-spec. While I do not do PAL, I believe that all DVD's will be 25 FPS Interlaced by the spec. This article has many links that cover almost ever aspect of DVD-Video discs, for both NTSC and PAL: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2525832#2525832

For Progressive material, one would need to go to BD. See this Encore FAQ Entry for the allowed Adobe formats: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/421178?tstart=0

I would assume that with DVD's authored with PrE, that the FPS and Interlaced, would be done with an internal software conversion, when the DVD files are written, and I wonder if that conversion is part of what you observe? One of our valued contributors, Neale, is in PAL-land, so perhaps he has some direct knowledge of working with 50p material, going to DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to dasa43

Are these slides from a PowerPoint presentation or did you create the text in Premiere Elements?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points