Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Greek + Russian (non-latin) hyphenation is a mess…

Nov 23, 2012 4:31 AM

Tags: #hyphenation #russian #greek

Hi all,

there's a bug in FM's hyphenation since FM8, and I'm wondering if anybody has a solution for it other than turning hyphenation off (which is not an option here).

Whenever the document language requires Greek or Cyrillic letters, hyphenation randomly happens without the hyphen, there's just a line break within the word (at the correct position, though, just without the hyphen). This behavior seems somehow to depend on the distance of the hyphenated word to the right frame border, so deleting or adding single letters before the hyphenated word may cure or cause the problem at this specific position. Same is true with manually editing the spacing or horizontal scale of the text in question. Hyphen appears, hyphen disappears, without being 100% reproducible (for me).

However, not speaking Greek or Russian myself, I get hundreds of corrections during reviews, because (during DTP) I don't recognize the lines and words where this happens. I've noticed this problem with FM8 and FM9 in Win XP and Win 7, on several independet FM workstations, so it's not just a local problem.

Does anybody know if this has been fixed with FM10 or FM11? Or any other solution that cures the problem? I'd really appreciate any ideas… which allow hyphenation in these languages.

Thanks,

Bernd

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 5:38 AM   in reply to Be.eM

If no-one knows for sure, why not try out a trial copy on a non-production machine & see for yourself?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to Be.eM

My suggestion was assuming you had a chunk of already identified "bad" content that you could copy & try out in a copy of FM11 - I wouldn't waste your time messing about with FM10, since that version's been superseded.

Best of luck ;>)

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to Be.eM

Have you read the FM Read Me's? There's a whole pile of stuff that gets changed without any mention at all ;>)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points