Skip navigation
Noel Carboni 23,514 posts
Dec 23, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Speed Up Photoshop (and Everything) With SSD

Nov 23, 2012 8:58 AM

'Tis the season to spend money.

FYI, today on Amazon.com you can get a ridiculously fast 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD drive for only $159.99, which is an unprecedented low price for a drive of this capacity.

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-2-5-Inch-Industrys-Warranty/dp/B0 07RARHSO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353689009&sr=8-1&keywords=vertex+4

It's hard to find one thing besides SSD that can so radically speed up a computer system in general, especially for applications that do a lot of I/O like Photoshop.

No doubt prices will be dropping more in the future, but at this price I suggest ordering 2 or more of these drives and setting up a RAID 0 array from which to run everything.  I just ordered one as a gift.

-Noel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

One of my biggest bottlenecks is the cache in Bridge.  It seems to be much slower in CS6 than CS5, which makes no sense as it is now 64 bit and should processess faster.   As I understand it, Bridge is more processor dependant than memory dependant, so not sure if a SSD would speed up the cacheing procress.  I know you do not use Bridge, but do you have an opinion?

I have a seperate physical drive for the cache.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 6:04 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

When I replaced my old 160 GB HDD with a 512 GB HDD, I bought a SATA to USB adaptor and it came with Apricorn Data Transfer kit that ran under Windows. I then took the cloned drive and installed it.  A few reboots, and I was in business with my new drive.

Are there kits like that that work well with SSDs?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 7:04 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Are you speaking of Windows Backup System Image, or do you use another utility, Noel?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points