Skip navigation
Stephen Roach III
Currently Being Moderated

cs6 upgrade is installed, do I need to keep CS4 installed?

Nov 23, 2012 11:31 AM

Tags: #upgrade

cs6 upgrade is installed, do I need to keep CS4 installed?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to Stephen Roach III

If you uninstall CS4 you may run into file association problems.  THere are fixes but requires some work on your part.

Best advice is if you don't need the disk space is to leave it in place.  Can be usefull in cases where CS6 develops problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2013 9:39 PM   in reply to Curt Y

What file association problems have occurred? I too want to uninstall CS4 on a computer that has both CS4 and CS6 installed. I need some more disk space. If there are known problems after uninstalling CS4, what are they?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to Chick Newman

Curt's right on.  The Photoshop CS4 uninstaller can break associations (like double-clicking a .psd file and having it open in Photoshop).

You might be able to correct the problems in Bridge CS6, by using the [Reset to default associations] button in the File Type Associations preference panel.

But if that doesn't work the worst thing you'll have to do is uninstall all versions of Photoshop, then install the latest only.  More time consuming, but not a "can't get there from here" level problem.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to Chick Newman

Some users experience a registry problem where one has to either change the registry or uninstall, run script cleaner, then reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to Stephen Roach III

Yes, it does not have to be on machine.  When install asks for qualifying product type in s/n of CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to Stephen Roach III

Stephen Roach III wrote:

I,m under the impression that CS4 must be installed on the machine for a 'upgrade to' version of CS6 to be successfully installed.

Is this assumption wrong?

No, but it's not essential since upgrades include the full program code. The serial number differentiates a full version from an upgrade.

If the CS6 ugrade installer cannot find an earlier qualifying version already installed, it will ask you to enter the serial number for an earlier qualifying version instead. You then enter an earlier version qualifying serial and the CS6 installer will continue.

When I'm installing (or reinstalling) Creative Suites where the latest version is an upgrade version, I only ever install the latest version - even if no Adobe software was previously installed on that particular computer.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points