Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why does Photoshop CS6 "Recover" large files that were properly closed in previous sessions?

Nov 23, 2012 12:32 PM

Tags: #memory #ps #cs6 #ram #usage

I'm always fighting memory problems with Photoshop CS6, which I work in for 5 to 8 hours every day.  I have a 27" iMac with a 3.4GHz i7 processor, 32GB of RAM,

AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 2GB Ram and over 1.5TB of available scratch disk space.  After working thru a couple of large images I have to start monitoring RAM use via Activity Monitor and reclaiming RAM via Terminal very often in order to continue working.

I believe something strange is happening in the background because very often, when I start a new session, PS "recovers" a "large format document"... one that was properly closed in a previous session, and one that I have not asked PS to open.  I can't help but feel like my whole memory usage issue is tied to the system somehow holding onto those "large format documents".  Am I crazy?  Is there any kind of troubleshooting anyone can suggest?

Thanks!

Dave

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 23, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to davesansom49

Do you mean the orphaned recovery file problem as in thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/4664463 ?. If so, nobody from Adobe ever comments on that problem, as far as I'm aware.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 9:09 PM   in reply to conroy

[ barely disguised profanity and unwarranted attack on admins removed by ccox ]

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 23, 2012 11:09 PM   in reply to davesansom49

What version of O SX are you using?

If your using lion or mountain lion you might see what the restore windows from previous sessions in the General>Preferences is set to:

lion:

1. Click System Preferences

2. Select General

3. Uncheck Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps

Untitled-1r.png

mountain lion

1. Click System Preferences

2. Select General

3. Check Close windows when quitting an application

Untitled-3r.png

|
    Mark as: